RISC-V will overthrow ARM before it's even gained mainstream adoptance. Mark my words

RISC-V will overthrow ARM before it's even gained mainstream adoptance. Mark my words.

Attached: riscing your relevance.png (1024x170, 16.21K)

My company is already switching to RISCV because you need to pay for each ARM compiler license and it gets expensive when they hire more developers who all need to build code.

good

RISC-V needs a LOT more funding for that to happen.

ok then what OS are you using rn?

ARM is mainstream, time traveler

You do know which architecture is inside 99% of all smartphones sold this year right?

I'm talking about Dekstops and Laptops.

how will it overthrow arm without gaining mainstream adoptance?

Mark

The 5 stages of grief:
Step 1: Daniel

>ARM compiler license
uhhhh, GCC is a thing, right?

Ever heard of the GPL License? Unless the project is open-sourced, they won't be using that.

nvm, I'm retarded

RISC-V is decades behind everything else in performance right now, it barely keeps up with the newest Raspi. It will need a decent performance microarchitecture before it is used in anything more interesting than a coffee machine.
Smartphones aren't computers

>at least 5 generations behind
>cost more (nearly double) for sbc board than raspberry pi and performs even worse

>It will need a decent performance microarchitecture before it is used in anything more interesting than a coffee machine.
there's that one SiFive board that has a 2.something GHz multicore 2-way-issue speculative execution monster on it. runs without a heatsink. imagine OCing that bad boy on liquid nitrogen

Have you read the GCC-exception license? The binary isn't liable
Are people this retarded?

You can compile proprietary software with GCC, dumbass. It was Apple's standard compiler for fucking years.

Why does the os matter? I cross compile for embedded systems

>2-issue superscalar
>monster
lol welcome to 1995, it runs without a heatsink for a reason

>My company is already switching to RISCV
feed me datasheets hardwarefag

How retarded are you? No company would pay for an ARM compiler when they could just use gcc. Do you really think your neet ass is smarter than a whole legal team?

>it runs without a heatsink for a reason
>welcome to 1995
more like 2000, but yeah, like you said, slow as shit compared to old x86's. what i'm saying is there's potential here, you could heatsink it and crank up the clock rate beyond its rated maximum, assuming the chinese spaghetti-logic doesnt eat a fat race-condition turd and crash

I feel like for the YOTLD to happen, RISC-V will need to become mainstream on PCs. Because if it does, Windows has a lot of catching up to do, meanwhile Linux enjoys some sweet popularity.

Attached: heh_heh.jpg (764x652, 88.38K)

>RISC-V will need to become mainstream on PCs
>implying they wont be secure-booted too

Im not sure what you mean. RISCV is open source so the datasheets are in public domain and can be found on the internet. The chips we use are proprietary designed in house with ARM cores, soon to be RISCV. The datasheets for those are confidential.

>The datasheets for those are confidential.
yes, give them to me fagget. i hunger for register listings

Apple didn't compile the code for ARM though. Commercial product run on ARM requires ARM compiler license.

Only if you give me your credit card details.

>ARM compiler license
you probably mean ARM core IP license. afaik those are expensive as shit and not very customizable.

its red and has a chip, details enougH. i require datasheets

Lmao what would you even do with them. I moved to the group working on RISCV recently and there isn't really anything interesting about it. The memory is a little different than ARM and the gcc compile is really inefficient so that is a pita

>Lmao what would you even do with them.
read them, write mainline linux drivers for your custom hardware

I mean the compiler license. The core ip is the design that gets put on the chip and is actually pretty customizable. You basically pay ARM for a design tailored to your application. It is really expensive though. A compiler license is required to develop and build code that gets run on a product. And each license only works for one job at a time so a large company needs many.

I work on embedded systems. The chips I program are not capable of running linux. We don't use an operating system as that is too much overhead. All the code does is allow a computer to communicate with some hardware.