/hsg/ Home Server General

"I have this toaster" edition

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
Learn something new. De-botnet your life. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
RouterOS's: wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server#Custom
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Cheap disks: shucks.top/ & diskprices.com/

Previous:

Attached: BaSeD.png (400x266, 218.85K)

TOASTER EDITION

I built a Raspberry Pi 4 a couple years back and I'm trying to follow the instructions to make it a headless server now, but it doesn't reconnect to the network at reboot.
I've tried putting the SSID/PW into raspbi-config, into /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf and it just doesn't seem to work. Logging in manually shows it sometimes doesn't even connect automatically and I have to do so from the menubar widget (the credentials are saved though).
I've got too much stuff configured to start over, what should I be looking for and where, dmesg?

posting in epic bread
XD
>be me
>want a new server, with more performance, just cuz
>electric prices thorough the roof
>cannot justify it
What a cruel life.

if you have your details in the wpa-suppliement conf it should reconnect. If it doesn't, then you've fucked something up, consider using google for your tech support question.

>consider using google for your tech support question
I *did*, I just wanted to know if it was something obvious. Supposedly /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf is only read once then copied to another location but documentation is inconsistent on this part. If I had an idea what error logs to read I'd start from there.

I have a Dell R610 with 48gb ram and 5450s I think.

Got it for 100 bucks and works like a fuckin champ. 1tb SSD space from 2 500gb in RAID.

Keep on looking user, the answer is out there for you. God sped.

>works like a fuckin champ.
as a space heater? You've basically bought ewaste, have fun with it, we've all been there.

What user/group permissions should /var/www be? www-data:www-data? someNonRootUser:www-data?

non root, directories 755, files 644. You can google this btw

what are you doing on a sunday, anons?

Attached: 1658086420783.jpg (2047x2730, 1.32M)

I would be setting up a new nas, but my disk shelf didn't get delivered yesterday.

I had to go into the preferences menu, select Wifi Preferences and set a country despite the wpa_supplicant.conf file already doing so and disable the startup with networking toggle, that was it afaik.

Now that my Pi can reliably restart headless, moving it to the office where its noisy fan won't bother anyone. It's fucking absurd how many surge protector power strips orient the outlets vertically instead of accounting for the existence of power bricks.

Just got my new mirror drive, problem is, I'm tempted to use it for MORE! storage space instead.

what is the best solution for storing large amounts of data?
are nas or cloud storage the only options?

an age old dilemma

Just transferred my server from a tower to a rack mounted case. I'm still waiting on rails so I can put the case into the rack.

Server has a single 12tb drive with zfs, I got a second one to put in my desktop as a backup.
I setup zfs pretty poorly on the server because I thought I could just change it later. Now I'm thinking I should create proper datasets with compression and encryption on the new one but copying 8tb with rsync is gonna be a pain.

Dumb question:
I use a 2009 white polycarbonate macbook to run an air message server at my house, it's always plugged into to AC and Ethernet, and I tweaked all the settings so it doesn't go to sleep... But still it sometimes disconnects when I'm away from home for days at a time.
How can I remote access macos high sierra? Or would it just be smarter to set up a linux computer with a macos vm