Do VPN's really offer more privacy and security when using the internet or do they actually put you more at risk for...

Do VPN's really offer more privacy and security when using the internet or do they actually put you more at risk for data spying?

Attached: ..png (1188x618, 158.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.chromium.org/2019/10/no-more-mixed-messages-about-https.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazakhstan_man-in-the-middle_attack
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>what is marketing
hit your router reset button and change your IP if you unironically believe that your IP is information about you, faggot

Attached: what-is-https.png (604x332, 124.55K)

VPN for privacy only makes sense if you're hiding from a government that does not cooperate with the VPN host government, or if you're hiding from your ISP and middle men. VPN use would put you at more risk for spying if your government is hostile against a group you belong to.

How VPNs actually work

Attached: 165807173189358.png (1188x618, 133.37K)

The only circumstance in which a VPN protects your privacy is when you need to hide your location, your IP address, and nothing else. The encryption provided by VPNs are redundant in AD 2022 thanks to HTTPS, and VPNs don't magically block trackers or data miners. If you sign into Google after connecting to a VPN you haven't done anything other than tell Google "Hey, I now live several thousand miles away from where I just was 5 minutes ago," which Google will almost certainly interpret as "Hey, I'm using a VPN, pwetty pwease don't spy on me uwu."

There's a concept I call device/activity "chaining" where if you use the same phone to access a Google service, it doesn't matter if you're behind a VPN or not, and it doesn't matter if you're signed in or not. There are other identifiers that can match you to your account, like your hardware or even your hardware processing characteristics.

It is entirely account-based. You can think of yourself as an account. If you've volunteered your specific details at any point, your activity gets matched to it. If you use the same details on a different device, that device gets tied to you, too. Even if you use the same typing style/speed/speech you might get caught up.

A determined investigator can hunt you down on these details, and systems may collect all the information needed to do so- which is why your goal should be to defeat the analyst.

Analysts are lazy, and they work a 9-5 job doing all the spooky scary investigation you're worried about. They're limited on time and manpower- this means that making their job harder/slower is highly effective. Also, they may have all the details needed to convict you, but you can make those details difficult to recognize as pieces to the same puzzle... you can also get an analyst to downright refuse to make obvious connections with simple tricks. The details themselves may be available, but only via formal requests- there are ways to "stovepipe" the important details into black hole voids that are unrequestable, or that an analyst would never think to check.

When you start to think in terms of defeating the analyst rather than the collection systems, you can *begin* to recognize methods that might work.

VPNs might work to obscure your true IP address from a website, and obscure your chosen website from your ISP... but your choice of VPN and the available details from routing may themselves reveal your identity. Even a simple screen reader can bypass all of this... defeat the analyst.

Attached: 1625682361541.jpg (3024x3024, 331.51K)

depends if the VPN keeps a log of your activity or not

now if they actually hand out your data anyway then I don't know

>The encryption provided by VPNs are redundant in AD 2022 thanks to HTTPS
What if a website uses HTTPS but it hosts an image or video that's from a HTTP source?
I also think using a VPN to hide location is overkill when a proxy can do the same job. But I don't know which proxy provider is good while I can find plenty of VPN providers.

>What if a website uses HTTPS but it hosts an image or video that's from a HTTP source?
Your browser won't load it
blog.chromium.org/2019/10/no-more-mixed-messages-about-https.html

Use a VPN between your own devices, and use tailscale as it's open source.

Attached: unknown (8).png (583x402, 34.47K)

Mullvad is okay, but if you want to be private, i'd just use tor (preferably on whonix or tails)

Most normies connect to the VPN sometimes and at other times they don't. In this case, FAGMAN knows you are the same person anyway.

If you used a device always with VPN you can keep the activity on it separate from other devices. With no VPN, you will get similar recommendations on other devices because they use the same IP address.

You do not need a VPN to hide page content from your ISP, because of HTTPS. You don't need one to keep your passwords safe.

save yourself the money and just use the internet like an actual person. using a mainstream paid vpn is just letting the glowniggers know you're a dumbass on a silver platter.

if you see any VPN service advertise privacy or security you should know it's a glownigger honeypot

The picture is outdated and retarded. Almost all websites use HTTPS now, corporate is mostly ads which are downloaded directly. In terms of interception, which is the topic they chose for this illustration, it is now like pic related (yellow is PRISM).

Attached: nordvpn1.jpg (1188x1148, 128.46K)

>muh lock means secure

>There is a lock - you can type your secrets now, everything is safe and secure

Attached: googlehttps.jpg (923x519, 40.06K)

kys turboretard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazakhstan_man-in-the-middle_attack

Don't install root certificates made by glowniggers retard

no
I just use them otherwise my ISP would continue to threaten to terminate my service indefinitely for pirating tv shows
that's the only "privacy" I want
ad companies can do whatever the fuck they want with the data collected from the VPN provider

yeah and you want me to believe root certificates that are installed on your system right now are not made by glowniggers? this system is so obviously flawed