is OpenGL worth learning?

Attached: tux.gif (512x512, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ocornut/imgui
github.com/Immediate-Mode-UI/Nuklear
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lean assembly and make mods for retro games which i will play personally

Obsolete

No that's soulless, learn glide instead.

depends

Why not DirectX?

soulless

yeah

Yes. More specifically GLES because it's still used a lot in legacy systems that will need new maintainers once the current ones move on.

>soulless
Don't go for hardware accelerated graphics then. Do everything on CPU through OS-dependent functions.

If you are new to 3D, perhaps make a small thing in opengl to get the basics.
Then move into Vulkan

That sounds pretty fun, any recommendations 9f where to start learning?

You need to use the microsoft compiler. And the microsoft dev toolchain is one of the most bloated and retarded things out there.

Just prefer any open source graphics library.
You have more options for a compiler there clang, gcc, tcc, (intel probably)

Android is not a "legacy system", as much as I wish it was. Lots of games still use GLES since it's easier to get decent performance out of that than out of Vulkan.

Fair enough. Then OpenGL is pretty worth it compared to Vulkan.

contribute to piratesahoy community

not unless you plan on using it

Yeah, openGL is really solid, and there is TONS of documentation/tutorials on it.
It is not going to die anytime soon.
For learning/experimenting yes I'd go for opengl,
also try out some wrapper to make things like window initialization/controls easier.
Try out SDL, it can initialize a window and give you an opengl context quickly

Not OP but I have an OpenGL question.
I'm trying to learn it, to do a GUI software in which you would edit in real time a graph (edges, nodes, etc..).
So the software would do the graph layout, ie determine where the circles are, their size etc.
And the user could like right click and create a new node. Or moving around an existing node. Or zooming, or making every nodes of the graph moves, etc...

I want this to be done the most efficiently possible, for the app to be lightweight on ressources.
My question is this:
Are there special rendering modes, made specially for the frame buffer to be updates very frequently ? (as opposed to a more fixed rendering mode which would not change with a high frame rate)
Or is there only one rendering mode/function, for both low and high refresh rates?

Graphic libraries are already designed to be refreshed as often as the monitor refreshes and there's no point refreshing more frequently than that.

It is possible yes, some games did that,
I remember Dragon Age 1,
The gameplay and UI were different buffers, so the game could be 20-30 fps but the UI was a solid 60.

Also don't try to re-invent the wheel, unless you absolutely have to.
Try out some already existing libraries out there
>github.com/ocornut/imgui
>github.com/Immediate-Mode-UI/Nuklear