Why Did MySpace Fail?

Attached: myspace.gif (800x300, 18.13K)

Music on everyone's profiles.

They used a site builder like wordpress to create the app. When they reached a certain scale they couldn't keep up

That was the best part, and the hundreds of animated gifs with giant comic sans banners using blink and marquee on everyone's profile

They didn't leverage their information access properly for profit, and the high level of customizability and their inability to remove it do to user expectations made it much more difficult to iterate on the website to support new types of interactions, advertising, etc. In contrast, Facebook quickly adopted the iconic "I'm a fan" and later "Facebook like" for targeted advertising dollars, which was funneled back into further developing the business.

People like you are the reason why I had no one in my top 8.

You don't remember? You seriously don't remember?

Sponsored content. Had to dig through ads to find people. Shitty navigation and search functions. Awful teenage girl crowd. Zuckerberg improved on it in every way: ads weren't intrusive, people were easy to find and sort, and search functions were good. The people were all students enforced through an .edu address requirement, which was later dropped. This ended several years ago but you get the idea and it's why Facebook is now having the same problems MySpace did. Also, Zuck was much smarter about selling the analytics. MySpace was dumb by constricting itself to just "teen" things and not the larger "boomer" businesses like cars, tampons and laundry detergent. FB managed to attract an older crowd which was how it went fully mainstream. And now, this same process is choking them because it's all old people arguing about old people things (with ads) now.

No you just had no friends

We all had Tom as a friend.

DARPA released Facebook

Anyone try spacehey? I kinda want to make a profile but then I realize I'd have no friends on it.

jews

Attached: 1634890946369.jpg (1024x722, 75.92K)

Was made using adobe coldfusion and was essentially unmaintainable
Each person's profile was a static webpage that had to be fetched each time you accessed it, versus Facebook which essentially stores all your info in a mysql db and pulls it/applies it to a template each time you access a profile.
Myspace used insane amounts of bandwidth and was made of IDE-generated spaghetti code.
Also poorly monetized. Made barely enough on ads to cover operation costs. Most of their money was from VC funding. They made $1.5M in actual profit in the 12 months leading up to News Corp buying them.
News Corp (Rupert Murdoch) bought myspace with the aim of monetizing it and making it a profitable business, but over the course of the next 3-4 years they destroyed the layout, turned it into a hideous Lycos/MSN monstrosity, repelled over half the users who jumped ship to facebook because (ironically) its blue and white color scheme felt similar to early myspace.
Scared away the few remaining loyals with the "My_____" makeover, and things like Lookie Loo badges (it would publicly shame you for estalking too many profiles, literally the worst feature you could possibly add if your goal is user retention).

That's my $0.02

Its basically a nostalgia website, but ultimately pointless because no one uses it.

Too much personality needed to go into each profile and most people are terrified to display that for fear of judgement. At least when it comes to outward appearance.
Facefuck was a whitebread & mayo sandwich with its presentation which made people comfortable.

>MySpace was dumb by constricting itself to just "teen" things
a site created around teenagers and music achieved its job. problem was when normie faggots flooded the site and tried to turn it into a site for everything. this accelerated under the control of news ltd when they bought the entire site.

> no mention of when rupert murdoch bought the website and turned into unprofitable trash
> let's just blame facebook
not how history unfolded at the time, zoomer revisionists that weren't even born when the site was still alive.

they started spreading themselves too wide and thin with adding new features

Cause it was shit.
It's filled with "teenagers" surprisingly. I suspect it's being used to gather cheese pizza.

>That's my $0.02
but the coke is for $0.97, sir, where are you going, sir? Sir!

DARPA LifeLog

I remember discovering good rock music on random blogs back around 2008-2011, when I was late preteen, and mostly teenager.
Man that was the good time.

>I JUST CAN'T
kek

Attached: 1648325982755.png (238x217, 74.63K)