Why do people want rolling-release distros and bleeding-edge package versions? I don't fucking get it, please explain...

Why do people want rolling-release distros and bleeding-edge package versions? I don't fucking get it, please explain. I'm still running Debian oldstable (released in 2019), not because it's hard to upgrade but because I just haven't felt the need.
>i3 still tiles my windows
>Emacs still edits my text
>xterm still displays output
>GCC still compiles my C code into executables
>Firefox still displays every webpage I point it to
>qBittorrent still downloads movies
What more would I need out of my computer?

Attached: debian-buster-theme.png (800x450, 17.4K)

>Using Debian
>Not using Sid like a chad.
The state of nerds in this board.

This user has a completely correct assessment of the situation

I use Gecko Linux BTW

god shut the fuck up. why do you care what other people use? get a life you retard stop worrying about useless shit like what distro im running

drivers and new features

security
shiny new features
because I want it, why do you care?

>Why do people want rolling-release distros and bleeding-edge package versions?
Why not? Is there a downside?
My arch is extremely stable...

There is no rational excuse to run Sid unless you're a Debian developer.

if he doesn't have new hardware then he doesn't need the new drivers
if he's happy with the way his computer is working now he doesn't need new features

but if I build a new pc with new hardware I don't want to wait for a new distro release for it to get full hardware support

>>My arch is extremely stable...
Debian people and Arch people talk past each other because they have two very different meanings of the word "stable". You mean "stable" as in "it doesn't crash". He means "stable" as in "it doesn't change". He wants to not have to put effort into making changes because this or that package got updated, regardless of the fact that the updated version might work perfectly fine, just in a different way than the old one.

He's obviously not doing that, and in any case computers have been fast enough for quite a long time, so buying a whole new one isn't gonna be that common.

because of that time you needed the latest release of some package in order to get the bug fix in your nvidia drivers to work
then that package version wasn't available except in rolling release distros
so you had to hunt down a PPA of something some stranger on the internet built and it didn't work
then you embarked on the quest to build your own version of the damn thing
then it had bleeding edge dependencies of its own
and after chasing down 23 package and building everything from source you finally got it to display something other than a black screen only to realize the bug was not fully fixed in this version, but they've now got a new version
SO YOU CAN START ALL OVER AGAIN!

No, no thank you. I am happy with rolling release, go fuck off with your bullshit "stablity" meme.

I have modern hardware that performs better with modern software

I'm not trying to insult rolling-release users. I just don't understand the mindset. My approach is:
>buy hardware
>install software I like at versions which are compatible with the hardware
>leave it alone until I buy new hardware or there's a new feature I absolutely need, because otherwise why bother? I could use the time for programming instead

Blame the internet.

you sound like a total faggot hipster. a thread died for your insufferable retardation

People just like the novelty.

Ok, understandable. Personally I don't use very recent hardware and I'd just do a Frankendebian in this situation anyway, but that can get complicated so to each his own.

Maybe I want better hardware because I want something better than what I have. Maybe I have something more than a crusty laptop that was released a decade ago and I want it to work the best way it can. And it often requires something more up to date. It's just as simple as that.

Why don't people just go to GitHub/Lab/whatever and compile packages that are missing? 9 times out of 10, it's just pull, make, make install.

That user has a somehow valid point. Bleeding-edge system packages sometimes require dependencies with matching recent versions, so you may end up compiling a dozen things from scratch.

OK, that makes sense.

Yeah, if that user runs into this situation semi-frequently then I get why he'd want rolling release. I've only needed to do this like once or twice in my life though, and I've just used a Frankendebian instead of compiling anything.