/twg/ - Tech Workers General

(Formerly /tjg/ - Tech Jobs General)

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

H.T.M.L. (How To Meet Ladies) edition

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
youtube.com/watch?v=leg4SkNaCh4
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
acilearning.com/blog/7-tips-for-getting-into-it-with-zero-experience
firsthand.co/blogs/innovate-with-influence-global-high-tech/how-to-get-a-tech-job-with-no-experience
indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/easiest-tech-jobs-to-get-into
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions
neetcode.io/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Salary Stuff
freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-negotiation-guide/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#Any Forumstwg (web client)

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

Prev:

Attached: based sam.png (1288x789, 904K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/18TwUgj62TgV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>don't know if they are waiting for me resign
I know this feel

brehs we all need to chill, nobody is getting fired tech jobs are literally daycare for adults

what you do is hand in your notice. there's no easy way of doing it, no nice way of doing it. you do it and suck it up and move on. they move on too

Suffering from hard burnout nowadays, I hate my job. Gonna take a cheeky 1 month medical leave and travel.

vocaroo.com/18TwUgj62TgV
wanking out guitar licks while drunk because I don't feel like dealing with this dumbshit bug some developer who left a few months ago left behind atm

over here it feels like instead of layoffs they increased everyone's workload and are waiting to see the bodies drop

I am working for a start up and i am only about five months into my first software engineering role with them. I have learned so much beyond leet codes and the whole process beyond what you can learn for free on the internet. The thing is i am fearful of a recession and getting laid off. Like how do i hedge my self against getting laid off?

about me

>~5 months of software engineering experience mostly working on front end
>I know java, python and js
>no degree and 100% self taught
>over 300 leet codes
>i did IT support before this job but mostly help desk / windows server shit

I am thinking of applying for other jobs at this point just to get into the recruiters database. It is funny because it was so hard for me to get one software engineering job but now that i have i have recruiters calling me on their own but i don't think i should count on that as being able to get a job if there is a recession. I don't want to go back to IT support or Sysadmin because i don't think i can get the salary i have grown accustom to being a software engineer but lets say i do that to pay bills if i get laid off how hard will it be for me to go back to IT support after being a software engineer? I feel companies will think i will bolt for a software engineer job now.

If you're close to your boss... i.e., you interact basically daily in standups or chats, then schedule a one on one meeting and tell them in person (or over a call). Just say you enjoyed working with the team, you're grateful for everything you learned and accomplished, yada yada yada, but you've decided to pursue another opportunity and your last day will be 2 weeks from now. Ask him what the process is for formally giving notice (it will probably just be an email with maybe HR or someone CCed). Be prepared for how you will respond if your manager says they can get you a raise or something, or if they want to hear what your external offer is to counter... it's up to you if you want to pursue that.

If you are not close to your manager.... just email them. (I've left jobs where I talked to my manager once a quarter, and I just quit by email).

hit your manager on slack like this
>ayo imma bounce
>*sends two_weeks_notice.pdf*

How should a ISP network engineer go about making the switch to Cloud engineer? Any relevant certs/ skills to make a resume stand out for a chance?

The man pictured in OP, Samuel Campos, was seen scooping poop out from his dead dad's butt, reinserting it up his own anus while chanting "caquinha do meu papinho".
You're quite unlucky Any Forums, he's here now.

how do I convince my boss that recruiting someone fresh from university that "knows swift and kotlin" for a company that exclusively uses C and C++/QML isnt a good idea (considering zero capacity to train someone)?
the boss knows some VBA. and we've been searching for a C++ developer for some time already.

You will have more than a year of experience when the recession happens, it's not much but it's not terrible. I wouldn't worry much.
And you don't know java, python and js.

how would you guys say I should go about finding out what I like in programming? started with networking kinda as a default path but the salary range in swe jobs made me want to at least explore the possibilites. should I try leetcode? should I make some basic projects? the issue is that I do not have the time and resources to explore every field

doesn't Sam work at a pet store

>If they are and you're just stupid and forgetting them
I'm thinking that it's a combination of I'm stupid and didn't catch on what were implied and extreme social anxiety when trying to clarify things . I was given the task of coming up with testcases. the coworker giving me that assignment told me that this was a "stopgap" because he feels my strength is in more complex analytical problems after solving a problem he was struggling with for the app he was working on and said they are waiting for another project more suited to me to be assigned to me . He explained the problem for that project but didn't actually say to start on it or give a deadline. So I make the test cases and wait for feedback the next meeting comes and in the discussion they need these tests done, I was under the impression that the testcases would be passed to a technician to perform since I'm not certified to operate the eupipment needed to do these tests. A coworker after the meeting tells me I can start testing which confuses me, and now I don't know if I was suppose to find a technician and get them to do these tests (the prospect of ordering someone around terrifies me) or if I was suppose to be working on the problem the first co worker explained to me or what so I'm just been stalling due sheer anxiety, hours turned to days days turned to weeks.

Sorry for any bad grammar spelling trying to type on phone without being seen.

anyone high and playing video games rn? waiting to for more work to get prioritized.

Reposting

Attached: resume_anon.jpg (1700x2200, 170.07K)

this is the resume you want if you want to get ghosted

bit empty innit...
put "experiences and projects" section above the "skills" section imo

>Manager goes on family leave for a bit
>Teammates proceed to throw him under the bus and go to his manager saying how dissatisfied they are
>Go directly to his manager and proceed to criticize everything he did before leaving
>Had to leave early because his 7 year old needed to go to surgery due to heart issues
How the fuck do these people sleep at night?

i would split up my contracted/9 to 5 work and my freelance/self-employed/temporary projects and also put in the date and time i worked there

the bug tickets at my work are so shit, about to go into a meetigh with the head product manager to voice my concerns, he is interested