Any other examples of software that is indispensable because of how good it is at its core function...

Any other examples of software that is indispensable because of how good it is at its core function, but feels like it was designed by insane people?

pic-related, zbrush.

Attached: zbrush.png (1280x800, 181.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/c/FlyCat1/videos
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

7zip

vim
vlc
utorrent

templeos

ffmpeg

Genuinely a multibillion dollar industry built off it

git

what industry? Streaming?

almost anything that involves doing anything with video uses ffmpeg if you dig deep enough

computers

Why not using Blender instead?

SAP
Companies spend millions per year on SAP consultants and integration experts and wizards to decipher it

Glibc

>subdivides model to 100 million polys
>keeps sculpting
that's why. zbrush is made of magic.

and you can't do that with Blender?

you'd probably run out ram, crash for some other reason, or performance would make interaction almost impossible.

don't be me wrong, blender's cool and for most people it's probably totally fine to sculpt in. but you start ramping up those polycounts and nothing keeps up with zbrush (because zbrush is cheating afaik).

i've been stealing zbrush since before blender got its big overhaul, so i'm used to its features and workflow. tried blender sculpting and it was aight, but i got not reason to switch.

Blender starts to slow down at a million polygons let alone 100 million. Its come a long way but when it comes to sculpting anything that's not a smooth skinned cartoon character zbrush blows blender away and its not even close.

Zbrush is so expensive lmao

they were acquired by maxon so you can't even get a perp license now; basically guilt-free pirate.
the rent rate is fine for working artists tho.

the old perp price was based because they said you got a year of updates but they didn't care and they never enforced the limit. people were running decade old licenses.

any good version? It look like the pirated version I find get a lot of crash when you save.

who needs billions of polygons? check out what he is sculpting with blender
youtube.com/c/FlyCat1/videos

why use millions of polys when you can just cheat with textures

Blender is fine for perfectly fine for stylized sculpts like that but they lack fine skin detail. You would have a very hard time sculpting something like this in blender.

Attached: zbrush.png (979x960, 626.53K)

man, i was running zbrush 2018 till a few days ago. i don't sculpt much, just for fun so it was fine for me. i updated to Zbrush 2021.7.1 and it's been okay so far, a couple of crashes when messing around with spotlight but recovery saved the day anyway. it was the one with the most replies / least complaint ratio on cgpeers.

different people got different needs, lads.
if someone's doing hyper-real likeness / digidouble work or hollywood blockbuster-tier monster work, you those millions of polys get used real quick.