Does anybody actually use Apple's proprietary graphics API...

Does anybody actually use Apple's proprietary graphics API? Who would use this when you could go with NVidia hardware and use CUDA. Why did they drop OpenGL/OpenCL for this shit when their overpriced hardware makes it all pointless?

Attached: metal.jpg (1024x512, 52.74K)

It's literally the only choice for macOS and iOS now.

ios games only run metal API and iphone sales + ios app store royalties generate shit-your-pants profits
macos is still being kept behind ios so as not to piss off the latter developers despite transitioning to apple silicon. if that ever changes then a lot more games will get ported to metal

wageslaves who have no choice but to develop for crapple because their boss said so

because if we spend more on advertising than r&d we can make more money, same reason we build them in sweat shops

refusing to support standards like this is why apple hardware is completely squandered

I think those apple cunts think people like me (addicted to hackintosh) will start buying their apple sillicon shit once they "transition"

in reality, most of us will swithc to windows and the destkop share will drop to 2% making metal mostly irrelevant.

history doomed to repeat... fags never learn

they burned their bridges with Nvidia and OpenGL is legacy
yes it sucks that we have yet another proprietary graphics API but on the other hand Apple is able to make it extremely performant since it’s all their hardware and software is under their control
>overpriced hardware
why so much poorfag cope? just let it go jesus

I don't even care for the price.... At least give me swappable ssd lol

cuda only does compute, not graphics (no optix doesn't count)

closest thing nvidia has to metal is nvn, but of course they're dicks and lock it behind an nda that barely anyone can get

standards are a meme of inter-vendor compromise and dead weight for all parties when you have an attractive innovative hardware/software ecosystem (not saying apple does or ever will, just that their walled garden philosophy has merit)

For the moment Apple allows you to use moltenvk for stuff on the appstore.

>OpenGL is legacy
OpenGL 4.6 came out in 2017 and you can use it RIGHT NOW to do advance rendering, tired of this bs meme that OpenGL is deprecated just because Apple is retarded

opengl is indeed legacy, stop coping and learn a real api like vulkan, metal or d3d12

metal is basically the only way to get modern graphics on macos/ios, it's essentially vulkan for mongs
almost nobody plays real games on macs so apple doesn't care about opengl/vulkan

The only based macfags are the ones run their whole OS off of thunderbolt nvme's - only turbo cucks that haven't gotten to OT 3 in appletology are grifted into buying upgraded internal storage at 3x markup.

>Seriously if Apple ever closes this loophole, I'm off this train niggas.

Attached: 2022-07-11 12_11_41-Amazon.com_ SanDisk 4TB Extreme Portable SSD - Up to 1050MB_s - USB-C, USB 3.2 G.png (914x257, 118.57K)

You're not a graphics engineer. now fuck off

>waaah! apple not letting me use my open source low level api, its hecking unfair!
just use moltenvk

>it's essentially vulkan for mongs
true, apple looked at vulkan and decided that onions devs need something easier, thats how metal was born

opengl is comfy
especially legacy

you can be butthurt about it but you can’t deny that for Apple it’s best for them to have their own graphics API, freeing themselves of OpenGL legacy baggage and focusing on writing optimized and performant code specific to their hardware that they also control
if you’re somewhat knowledgeable about programming you surely must understand the advantages of their approach

this. they deserve the rope.

iOS "games", kek.