Why did schools stop teaching kids how to type...

Why did schools stop teaching kids how to type? I know tons of people in their early to mid 20s that don't have a clue how to type on a physical keyboard and will unashamedly peck it out if forced to use one. Even younger people I see working at office/receptionist jobs somehow have shit typing skills. Will there ever be a resurgence of typing classes in schools or is being a competent typist passe?

Attached: ayylmao.png (1131x1150, 1.89M)

Britbong here, I don't know any Boomer or Gen-Xer who can touchtype. I taught myself and as such probably have my own retarded quirks. Nobody has ever learnt it at school here to the best of my knowledge. Did/do they teach it in the States?

they didn't? my 2nd grader is learning typing in school and even practices at home

I'm 21 and I got a lot of typing classes. Issue was - they were extracurricular. We had a 'media lab' class where we went to the computer lab to do shit like draw in paint and take tests, seems like the perfect class to teach typing in. Almost a no brainer that people should be able to touch type in current year.

Yes, there are probably more millennials per capita with typing etiquette than any other age group. I moved around a lot growing up and back then every public school I ever went to taught typing as an essential class, unless you rode the short bus.
In burgerland?
That's the problem, they used to be mandatory by 2nd or 3rd grade.

>That's the problem, they used to be mandatory by 2nd or 3rd grade.
Not that I've ever heard of, but if that's true it should be brought back

because the only keyboard most people use on a daily basis is the on-screen one from their phone
the best you can do on that type of keyboard is swipe complete

That was my experience, they would start kids on typing programs as soon as they could sit still long enough to do it. This was in the early 90's.

Cooking and shop classes used to be mandatory, but they all became optional by the time I got to high school, and I'm 30 now. If keyboarding got thrown out of the required courses as well, it wouldn't surprise me given the absolute state of modern education.

>In burgerland?
yep

God damn Ms. Mavis - you fine!

Attached: BuiltForBWC.jpg (525x462, 75.07K)

Step aside, negress.

Attached: totd.png (640x480, 370.62K)

Schools are random here but I got some Windows 3 IBM PC classes in my third year of school. Typing, what "cursor" means etc. That was 1993 or 1994.
t. Finland

Attached: Windows 3.1 PC.jpg (1500x1125, 137.83K)

not did I have typing courses. I learned pc repair and worked in the district's internal pc repair and recycling program, I vetiver it was jntergrated into a larger state program moving old pcs into schools with a need for hardware. that was in jr high. in high school I learned visual basic 6, they also had a design class where they worked with Adobe software. I didn't take that one so I'm not sure what exactly but my friends were in it
Oregon Coast, late 90s into the early aughts

Burger here - our last year of computer class (9th grade, highschool) taught by a cross-eyed shrew covered typing pretty well - but had an entire day spent on the merits of

DEFRAGGING
FLOPPY
DISKS

>in 2002
>the feature had been dropped from XP already
>the last version to have it was Win98 that all of our lab machines ran on

Attached: hqdefault (1).jpg (480x360, 49.54K)

>Why did schools stop teaching kids how to type?
I’m a zoomer (97) and we were taught to type using online games during computer class. I don’t know if it’s the same for younger Zoomers though

born in '98 and we were still using Windows 3.1 era educational software in elementary by the time I left in the 6th grade in 2010. then again I went to school in a poor district where we were still using beige box desktops

Attached: 1200px-JMU_Maury_Hall_computer_lab_2.jpg (1200x900, 173.08K)

>go into computer lab in 4th grade
>do typing assignments quick as fuck
>teacher lets us use spare time to fuck around
>me and the boys playing Adventure Quest and Club Penguin

Attached: 165765765.png (241x207, 100.44K)

>Adventure Quest and Club Penguin
Exceptionally based

They had a class or two but never seriously pushed us into learning it. Getting into political arguments in Runescape taught me more than those lessons.

the only education I needed was calling people fags on cs and brood war

I did the exact same shit in middle school. I probably put 20+ hours into adventure quest during the computer lab sessions over the course of the school year in 5th grade