Why Does Linux Have So Many Package Managers?

Why doesn't Linux just take the best features of all 3 and leave out the worst features and make one package manager? Is it intentional to have Linux divided? Why is there so many of them?

Attached: Ei92PZkLmjdCH11BwkLaZdcLyHrFkKO5a2B3gifMIH4.jpg (640x360, 26.83K)

Linux is all about choiceâ„¢

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 23.74K)

>Why doesn't Linux just take the best features of all 3 and leave out the worst features and make one package manager?
that requires some freetards admitting they're wrong and abandoning their pet projects, which they refuse to do
>Is it intentional to have Linux divided?
yes
>Why is there so many of them?
freetards don't believe in cooperating with each other

Why didn't the AppImage developers allow a way to install AppImage applications? Is it intended to be portable-only?

The Canonical niggers refuse to admit that squashfs is a horrible storage format for individual programs. probonerpd fails to admit that not having a management application is a shitty idea. Red Hat pajeets don't admit that their all-in-one runtimes are bloated pieces of shit.

Looks like Flatpak will win

Snap was dead on arrival because it's the usual Canonical garbage
AppImage is good but unfortunately it has no backing from any distro (precisely because it's distro-agnostic)

Flatpak is now endorsed by Fedora (that's where it comes from) but also now by the SUSE/OpenSUSE community

All the work done on immutable distros now happens with Flatpaks

The whole point of AppImages is to obviate the need for installation.

flatpak allows you to put as little as you want in a runtime

Seems like they wanted to obviate the need for launchers and executing through CLI shortcuts as well since the main way to launch AppImages is to search for it in the file browser.

If you build a custom runtime in the first place, that is. Most will not do that. FreeDesktop SDK as well as the GNOME and KDE SDKs are bloated as fuck.

because there is no point to a custom runtime, that "bloat" is necessary for 99% of applications

spbp

Flatpak is unsuitable for CLI applications since launching apps through the terminal is complicated since you have to remember to type in

flatpak run org.this.extremely.long.application.name

every time you want to run it, Snap is very centralized and no third-party repositories are allowed, and AppImages can't be installed so you have to either search for the file every time you want to open it or manually edit your launcher and add aliases which is frustrating for inexperienced Linux users.

At least they can be used together, unlike deb and rpm. Or apt, pacman and dnf.

Yes, basically. It's the "I want to carry software around with me on a flash drive" option.

>what is bash aliases
except it can't even do that

This has been solved more than 20 years ago.
>no bloated storage
>no proprietary app store
>supports CLI applications

Attached: 1657495378924.jpg (587x738, 96.53K)

Can you alias an application name like that? I have never tried

Regardless I don't think 'its hard to remember' is a valid criticism of CLI

Fair enough. Seems like AppImages are meant to complement pre-existing installation methods instead of replacing them altogether as "le future of Linux packages" like I see memed on here often.

Flatpaks are also endorsed by Valve (SteamOS).
>Snap was dead on arrival because it's the usual Canonical garbage
Unity didn't deserve to die, but Snaps certainly do.

Unity was a fucked up hack that never worked right

It had great UI/UX. It's only fault was being built on top of Compiz.
If Unity8 had become a thing, I think we would be at a better place than we are with Gn*me being the dominant DE.

>what is bash aliases

Already mentioned that, it might be too much for inexperienced Linux users to get comfortable with.

Attached: xkcd black lives matter.png (213x253, 11.23K)

Never would have happened, compiz was a fucked up hack but also everything else about it was a fucked up hack. Canonical admitted it was always losing money and there was no possible way to make it profitable