How would Plan 9 look like if it still were relevant today/poular like Loonix?

How would Plan 9 look like if it still were relevant today/poular like Loonix?

Attached: 1633187398179.jpg (280x304, 8.44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nopenopenope.net/posts/audio
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

The exact same but you could easily install and run node packages on it for no reason.

What about zoomer GUI and muh gaymes?

game devs already have windows + linux + mac to worry about. I really don't see them adding another OS to that pile anytime soon, especiallty because windows is really the only one that actually works.
>What about zoomer GUI
that's what node is for user ;^)

>he doesn't know what could have been

Attached: plan 9 from bell labs for nokia ngage.png (958x619, 201.46K)

It's an esoteric OS that has no practical use. If there was any possibility for using it in practice then someone would have done it, even for the lulz.

Attached: 1280px-Plan_9_Alternative_poster.jpg (1280x1926, 647.71K)

>bandai
where are the figures

>It's an esoteric OS that has no practical use.
You're getting cause and effect mixed up. It is more practical than Linux or windows from a OS feature perspective, it just has a lack of software support due to low popularity.

>It is more practical than Linux or windows from a OS feature perspective
go ahead and elaborate on that please

>It is more practical than Linux or windows from a OS feature perspective
Having everything done by convention instead of following rules sounds very practical... oh wait, it isn't and the whole OS turned I to a joke.

gay

>relevant

Attached: waow.png (640x591, 18.19K)

I have a technical question. I remember reading about /dev/audio. It used to be a file on linux, where you could just write shit to hear it immediately.
Then they nuked it, and now you have to use the ALSA api. Now, that might seem like a more complicated way to do things, farther from "everything is a file" and shit.
But the thing is, to get the same functionality as ALSA, you apparently had to write to specific spots in /dev/audio to invoke kernel functions: they call them ioctl. So you still had an api, just shitty and more bloated!
So, how does audio work on plan9? Do you have a bunch of ioctls? How can you provide an API worth of functionality through files without making an overly complicated system?

*farts*

And I shit too!

Attached: 8D151E01-EBB8-4454-9364-1F9A6CE2FC15.png (650x989, 315.91K)

like linux
no amount of system design can prevent people from trying to abstract said design away
linux 20 years ago was like plan 9 is today

The real question is what would the computing landscape look like if Plan 9 wasn't cucked by licensing bullshit for 20 years, and it saw adoption beyond the fringes. Pretty much all of silicon valley exists to reinvent Plan 9 in shittier and shittier ways.

this

dont reply to obvious bait

By providing multiple files.
nopenopenope.net/posts/audio

Plan 9's source is easy to read and small. Unlike Linux, you can literally just go read it instead of asking questions like this. I solved my ACPI issues in an hour by grepping around /sys/src until I found the relevant code and reading through it. Could not even imagine the clusterfuck that would be on Linux or even BSD.

wake me up when they port google chrome to your shit tinker tranny os

plan 9 20 years ago was lightyears ahead of linux 20 years ago

frankly speaking, it's still lightyears ahead of linux

and it would be dragged down to linux's position if it ever became popular
somebody would have eventually replaced rio with a gnome

that's true. there's a sweet spot of adoption that it can still hit, though.

Plan 9 is perfectly fine if all you do is write code.