State of USB in 2022

Is USB-C on the desktop a colossal failure?
Will people still be using a mish-mash of USB-C and USB-A converters a decade from now?

It's like the industry doesn't want to fully commit to it replacing every use case that USB-A currently holds, namely, the end being connected to a REAL computer for all storage and peripheral devices, and the only company pretending otherwise is Apple.

I don't really see that changing anytime soon, nobody uses USB-C to USB-C cables, much to the chagrin of the the USB-IF, they can fuck off with their single-purpose do-all cable and confusing naming scheme of optional protocols, they've already done irreparable damage to faith in the "standard connector" and protocol going forward.
It's even worse because there are no other ways to hook external mass storage devices to your machine other than USB, SATA3 is a dead meme.

Attached: UCABL021500_1.jpg (640x480, 52.36K)

Bumpu

Its slowly happening that USB type A connectors are being phased out. Some mobos now have 2-3 USB type C connectors on the IO panel, up from prior years where only one was present. Tons of laptops are USB C only now, the desktop market is just slower to move, but this trend isn't going to slow down. For legacy reasons we'll probably have mobos support the type A connector for as long as PS/2 was supported, but they will probably become the minority in terms of IO selection.

your post is a bunch of tl;dr rambling I don't get. I have a few usb-c to a, and c to c cables, and nothing else. What else is there? maybe for some edge cases and older devices that use the weird "usb printer cable" equivalent on usb 3, but I've only ever seen one device

>Is USB-C on the desktop a colossal failure?
no, getting rid of USB-A would not be a success. it's a very mechanically solid connector that never wears out, unlike every smaller standard that "obsoleted" it
>USB-C to USB-C cables
>le standard connector
what you USB-C shills fail to realize that chinks wont ever create a universal cable. they'll sell you the bare minimum required need for (you not to refund) your particular application and fuck off with your money
there are USB-C to USB-C cables that lack even the USB 2.0 D+ and D- pair. there is no labelling or marking for these, its just a complete free for all.

USB-C on desktops feels so flimsy to use, I would avoid any peripheral that doesn't have a USB-A port.

>there is no labelling or marking for these, its just a complete free for all.

Yeah, and this is why USB-C is completely fucking useless. Your cable can be charging only (no data), wired to usb2, usb3, usb3.1, wired to carry video on top, wired to carry higher power delivery, or any combination of those.

USB-C just made things WORSE.
Then again it's not like the USB consortium is sane. The standard is like;
USB 3.2 Gen 1x1 (connectors: USB-A, B, micro B & USB-C)
USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 (connectors: USB-A, B, micro B & USB-C)
USB 3.2 Gen 1x2 (connectors: USB-C)
USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (connectors: USB-C)
so figure out which fucking one each port on your motherboard can handle, your phone can handle, and your cable can handle.

USB is complete fucking insanity right now.

this
usb-c's approach of backwards compatibility fucked it over, good luck getting a good cable
not to mention its inferior design over lightning

A and B will exist for a long, long time. USB-A is cheaper (less complicated) and will continue to be used in applications that do not require the bandwidth or PD capabilities of C.

>only ever seen one device
an arduino?

Retail stores are phasing out type A. But its still got years of use in my opinion.

To be fair, it's good that all USB-C cables don't support every single thing, or else you'd be carrying around really thick cables for no real purpose if all your doing is charging your phone.
There really only should be 2 cables, one for charging and basic data and one high speed for everything else.

I will say the USB fuck tards have really fucked everything. IDK who in there right mind would think a single connector that does everything but not at once is somehow less confusing than dedicated ports. Atleast a displayport will always be a displayport, there is no ambiguity to what it does.
With USB-C now there is ambiguity to what a port actually does and there is even ambiguity with the cables. You now have cables that can physically connect two things together but you'd might end up with something that doesn't do what you want.

I've never seen a USB C flash drive or portable SSD.

>laptop has USB c
>phone charger has USB c
>cable between them is c to c
>charge laptop with phone charger
>just works because 30w PD
>charge phone with laptop
>charge laptop with phone
>charge phone with laptop power adapter
USB a is dumb just get everything in c and throw away your fucking hoarder tier mass of old USB shit.

zoomerniggerfaggot

USB A isn't going anywhere, too much stuff relies on it. USB C has completely supplanted micro B though, and good.

> 8 contacts
> vs 20 contacts or whatever the fuck
> for the same 3.0 speed
Why bother? It's not like there is much benefit from C on desktop, it's not slim, has a lot of ports anyway and people use cheap microB -> C adapters all the time for connecting phones. There's no demand, apart from Applefags, but for them, there are 1-2 ports on modern mobos now.
Though I'm all for videocards adopting more USB-C ports as it theoretically allows for more output ports and thus displays.

Some companies still use micro B 3.0.

It provides no real use case for desktops. There is literally no advantage to plugging in a mouse or keyboard or game controller or whatever the fuck into a desktop with USB-C. There's no advantage to having video and power and everything else going through USB-C ports on a desktop either. That's why it's not gaining traction there, it's actually useless. The "one port does all" angle just has no value here, there is no shortage of ports and there is no shortage of space for them all. It may be different on portables, but not on desktops.

Ironically enough I think the "one port does all" design is actually hurting it too. The obvious problem here is that making every port and every cable do everything and run at the highest speeds is obviously more expensive. This has naturally lead to the only possible conclusion: namely you get USB-C ports and cables which most certainly DO NOT do everything, so everything is now a shitty mess where you often have to check the fucking manual for something to figure out which shitty, identical-looking port does what and it's even fucking worse with cables, because they're all outwardly identical and there's no way to tell what features each of the stupid things does or does not support. The bandwidth required for some of these features is also considerable, so it's entirely possible for cable quality to matter. It's all a quagmire where you have to divine which is the port blessed with the feature you want and then must remember which cable in particular has also received the adequate divine seals to carry the port's blessing to another device. It's all fucking shit.

If you see a DP or HDMI connector you know it's for video and video will work, you see USB-A you know it's for USB peripherals and they'll work, you see a barrel jack and you know it's for power input and so on. You see USB-C and the only thing you know is you need to find the manual.

I don't have a single device that requires USB-C (speed). All of my shit is either A or (micro) B. Currently there are 27 USB devices connected to my PC.

There's no real application for it other than mobile shit like Thunderbolt and display output, though like I said those are for mobile and there's no real use for them on a desktop. You could name very fast storage access as a use case, but external storage that's so fast as to actually matter is rare/expensive and the vast majority of users have 0 need for such speed in their external storage devices.