Sorry for the retarded question

sorry for the retarded question
Is it possible for me to install my OS to my unused RAM? I have 64GB and I don't even use 10% of it. I wanted to put my entire OS on a 32GB stick. Is there any software that lets me do this?

Attached: 1642294787298.gif (617x672, 1.35M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/news/sk-hynix-pcie-4-ssd-record-breaking-random-speeds
easyuefi.com/wintousb/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The minute you press the power button it's all gone.

kind of? for a software solution you can create a ram disk which then loads your operating system and files from an encrypted backup stored elsewhere.

Does the boot speed depend on the ssd/hdd or does it load instantly into ram?

Ram drives are a terrible idea for long term storage. Just get a shitty nvme, even the cheapest ones are good enough

boot drive is still dependent on your non-volatile storage because RAM is volatile: It wipes itself when it loses power. It needs to read from another storage device at boot.

>runs at 99c
heh, nothin personnell, kid

>he doesnt install his OS to battery backed RAM

Backups. The last 5 years I've lost only 3 drives and zero important data with them because I'm not an idiot.

If your computer has sufficient cooling and airflow, the addition of an nvme drive will not have a noticeable impact on it. And lots of high end ones come with heatsinks if you're that worried

>he shuts down his computer
Kek

/thread
Ram is volatile memory.
They were hyping up memristors to make persistent ram (which means, among other things, instant boot, and you can treat it like a hard disk), but it never materialized.

if you're getting filtered by trying to figure out RAM you might as well just give up now. computing is for the white man user

You can't move your entire OS to your RAM because your OS manages the RAM.

>Is it possible for me to install my OS to my unused RAM?
Your operating system already does this automatically via the filesystem cache.

>3 drives in 5 years
that's kinda frightening

Depends entirely on how many drives he has

kinda? there's some os that go from your hdd to your ram and stey there until you shut them down, then they write back to hdd so you keep your data. this should run a bit faster and rape the hdd slightly less. check out puppy linux it's pretty retard proof, and if you like it look into other dog type projects it inspired

Even if you could there would be very little if any performance benefit compared to running it off a high end NVME drive. Those things are approaching millions of IOPS in random read/write which was once only possible by RAM. In fact at least on low end computers SSDs could soon effectively replace the need for RAM with a big enough L3 cache (maybe 512MB).

tomshardware.com/news/sk-hynix-pcie-4-ssd-record-breaking-random-speeds

Download sysinternals rammap on windows if you don't think the operating system is using all your memory, because it is, although perhaps not immediately at boot.

Don't bother fucking around with things like Ramdisks honestly unless you have a very good reason to.

wait, is it even possible to do so?

Sounds like you don't want a RAMDisk - you want a portable, persistent OS on USB. There used to be an official spec for winfags called WindowsToGo that allowed this, but its semi-supported.

You can use a tool like Hasleo Win2USB to make a persistent USB though, just bear in mind its severely bottlenecked if you're using a cheap usb drive under 200mb/s, and it will want to install a new set of drivers for about every machine you plug it into if the hardware is not similar, eventually it will probably just get corrupted if it jumps between machines too much.

Alternately, most linux installer wizards will allow installation to a persistent USB drive and handle it a lot more gracefully than windows.

easyuefi.com/wintousb/index.html