/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: penguin-computer.jpg (350x285, 25.76K)

Flatpaks are the future.

Flatpaks happily live next to native packages.

I just wish the terminal commands weren't so long like 'org.this.that.and.that'. I can't open up Inkscape by simply typing 'inkscape' like I can with Snap.

How big of a difference is there between desktop environments as far as taxing your CPU/GPU? Not concerned with RAM usage, just don't want CPU/GPU being hit unnecessarily. My system, though not destitute, is low-end and I'm thinking I should consider LXQT. Probably not ready for a window manager like i3 though.

Attached: 2080554.jpg (473x473, 44.62K)

>repo package is abandoned
>snap package is abandoned
>flatpak package is abandoned
Reeeee

LxQt and Xfce are the ones you should try from "full" DEs. But going for WMs is also okay, i3, bspwm or openbox are simple to configure and use.

You could always just alias the "flatpak run" commands with just the name of the program to make it easier.

EndeavourOS's i3 variant got me into using WMs. Really easy to get down.
It also gives you the highest amount of bang for your resource buck.

No. AppImages are the future. Flatpaks are just popular.

if I can't install your software from pacman or the AUR then im not using it

>No builtin way to update the damn thing
Yeah sure, can't wait to have everyone run 2 year old browser versions

Well if you're using Arch then things like Flatpak aren't really needed because you have access to native versions of basically anything.

I want to create a distro derivative with all the settings I choose. Stuff like DE theme, kernel, shell, etc (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu). What do?

Update is a built-in part of flatpak, and AppImages have a pretty reliable de facto update interface. Never had problems with either working.

AppImageLauncher is IMO an integral part of an AppImage ecosystem on your install. Makes them more naturally a part of your system, such as giving them .desktop files and such.

How difficult is it to maintain/update Slackware on your own?
I've heard that updating Glibc yourself is a nightmare is that true?

Still looking for help with systemd-timesyncd.

I want to have the latest KDE but don't really care about the rest being bleeding edge. Is there any mainstream distro that can provide me something like this?
can nixos do it? I'm tired of gigabytes worth of updates on arch

>Tired of GBs worth of updates
Then just update more frequently then you have been? Sounds like you let it go for a while to get GBs worth.

Attempting to install Fedora Silverblue right now, is an ISO still safe if it returns that several lines were improperly formatted but still reports that the iso itself is ok (using the sha256sum command on the cl).

AppImage will always be niche because it doesn't have any way of deduplicating files between images, and the format makes it inordinately difficult to even try. Loading 6 different versions of your shared library chain to run 6 programs is only reasonable if you're on mobile and can only interact with one or two of them at a time.