What would be the PC requirements if this game was made today?

What would be the PC requirements if this game was made today?

Attached: smw2.jpg (1200x675, 121.41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1YWD6Y9FUuw
youtube.com/watch?v=fOGzYRvwxWo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably a 16 core CPU with 128 GB of memory and a RTX 4090 Ti.

It would use the Unity engine, require at least a GTX 1660, 8GB of ram, and 10GB of disk space. It also would have noticeable input lag and would have uneven frame pacing even on the fastest hardware.

25 MHz 486 with 4MB RAM
Because the dev was too lazy to optimize

Cuphead uses unity and runs on a 2008 core2duo at 60fps 1080p

YI has nine programmers credited to it

today, it would be made by one

You're right, I should have said Unreal Engine. Then everything I said would be 100% accurate, not even exaggerating.

No it wouldn't. Have you played the Bethesda re-release of Doom? The credits are like 10 minutes long. Literally hundreds of people working on a shitty Doom source port when the original game was written from scratch by two people. Programmers today are incompetent retards compared to 30 years ago.

>set out to do everything it did expertly while bringing something new to the table
Yoshi's Island is the only game I can think of that is an unironic masterpiece

You could say that about a lot of SNES games. Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country.

Its a engine meant to run on ps5-tier hardware, so even if you make a shitty 2d sidescroller it will allocate most graphics and ram resources available, it scales up wonderfully but it doesn't scale down at all.

Agreed with all but Star Fox. It was more about pushing tech but it was honestly never that good.

Don't forget the PCIE5 SSD with at least 210GB of free space.

I have doubts the original would run on that. PC games of that era spent a huge about of CPU power doing basics like moving all the pixels over by 1 to do smooth scrolling or blending transparency, never mind "touch fuzzy, get dizzy" type effects. Meanwhile the SNES had dedicated hardware doing that and most of it was just a few register settings and the CPU can go on processing game logic.

Yeah it wasn't even until the early 90s that PC's could do what the NES was capable of doing in 1983 and it took an extremely autistic genius to do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=1YWD6Y9FUuw

about tree fiddy

Pentium 1 + Win95 and DirectDraw - a 486 dos pc could do Raptor Call of the Shadows but that was on par with a base SNES Shmup with no sprite enhancement chips.

Attached: scd2.jpg (379x375, 82.47K)

It would run easily, even on less with modern optimization.
Remember we have Doom ports now that run on 386 machines with 3MB of RAM.

Carmack's original Doom needed a decent 486 to have a good time, FastDoom runs as good on a 386. That's the power of optimization and knowledge.

Remember there's a unofficial Mario port by Mike Wiering made in 2001 called "Mario & Luigi" which is graphically superior to any native SNES version but runs full speed in a 16MHz 386 with 2MB RAM. Probably would run well on worse but that's the weakest machine I've tested it on, since it's the weakest machine with VGA I have.

People these days really underestimate raw CPU performance.

Sure PCs sucked compared to things like Amigas that had benefits from the chipset in the early days and took a while before things like DirectDraw with 2D acceleration became a thing, but a 25MHz 486 is several times faster even per cycle, than the 3.5MHz 16bit 6502 successor used in the SNES, enough grunt to do everything in software without dedicated hardware. The SNES CPU would be more on par with a 10MHz 286.

>Pentium 1 + Win95 and DirectDraw
Yes, this can absolutely handle it. It doesn't have the hardware tile/sprite/scroll processing like the SNES, but what it accelerates would easily take enough load off the CPU.

Remember Doom struggles to achieve double digit fps on a 386.

>Remember Doom struggles to achieve double digit fps on a 386.
Original Doom, yes, that was the point. FastDoom runs easily with double digits on a 386.

I don't think you read my whole post.

Getting Doom to run on a 386 like it does on a 486 is quite impressive. However, I've seen Doom on a 486. It's amazing back then, but feels like a sideshow today.

youtube.com/watch?v=fOGzYRvwxWo

This runs as fast on a 16MH 386 with 2MB RAM.
Actually made 1994 not 2001, don't know why I thought 2001.

>Getting Doom to run on a 386 like it does on a 486 is quite impressive. However, I've seen Original Doom on a 486. It's amazing back then, but feels like a sideshow today.
Depends on the 486, a 100MHz 486 will hit 35 FPS limit even with full screen window. Original Doom caps out at that.

But double digits on a 386 is still impressive.
A 486 that's easily double the performance would do a Yoshi's Island port that's properly optimized no problem. The SuperFX chip wasn't that fast, look at StarFox for example and then polygon 3D running under DOS on 386 and 486 machines, with much better framerate.

We even have modern Doom ports to GameBoy Advance that run in double digits and even hit the 35 FPS limit, without using any of the GBA sprite hardware.
That's a handheld console with a 15MHz CPU and 384KB RAM.