I want to build a simple e-commerce website for my hobby. It needs to be very simple, so I want to build it myself...

I want to build a simple e-commerce website for my hobby. It needs to be very simple, so I want to build it myself. I know basic PHP and I think my PHP skills should be enough, but I don't like PHP very much, and I always wanted to try to program something in Go, so I'm at a crossroad.

So, my question is, is it generally worth the time and effort to try to build my site with Go, or not? I understand that PHP is the obvious choice for the task, but I'm intrigued by the challenge of learning something new, if it is worth it, of course.

Attached: go.png (395x297, 55.93K)

>e-commerce website
>It needs to be very simple
>I want to build it myself
you don't sound very confident in your skills and you are about to deal with money on your own. If it was a hobby website would tell you to Go for it hehe Go get it

Just find a template.

You'd still need to build it in HTML or PHP anyways right? I've seen sites done using Go, but that was just the web server with the actual page content being HTML.

You should not build it from scratch in any language
Use Shopify

Why

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, OP.
I was thinking of using Rust for the backend instead.

What if I want to process my own payments to evade big tech?

>What if I want to process my own payments
lol
lmao even

>It needs to be very simple
just use python, if you have basic needs the performance will not be a major issue

Etsy
Shopify

If you insist on your own website
Squarespace
Godaddy
Wix

It 'll be a pain in the ass, just use some simple woo commerce template and ready to go. I don't want to fuck up on payment platforms.

You would have to use crypto payments. Payment processing is a nightmare to deal with. That's why even mid sized startups end up using stripe to avoid the hassle.

Go is not the right stack for this kind of websites. I would either use Django or asp.net. They allow you to build things fast and you get a codebase that is easily maintainable and extensible. Go's verbosity and lack of packages will get in your way. Between Go and PHP i would choose PHP.

Checkout “Building Modern Applications with Go (Golang)” by Trevor Sawler on Udemy. He even goes over the SIGNIFICANT improvements going from PHP to Go

It's easy to integrate a payment gateway to your Application retards. It's easy to make a SQL database with catalogs, Categorie, products, transaction logs, etc...

What part of building an ecommerce website do you find hard?

It's not that simple my dude. Best you can probably hope for is to hook into a 3rd party merchant (like PayPal). Otherwise you're going to have to get Visa and Mastercard involved, and that's going to be a world of regulatory pain.

making sure you do it right all the time
money is one of those things you really don't want to get wrong

Just integrate Stripe or your regional payment processor to your website.

Bro. A database and integrating stripe is the LEAST of your concerns when making an ecommerce site LMAO

If you really are a software engineer who is used to work on backends there's no reason why you would get it wrong. It's like handling authentication. You're not building a fireship dude. There's a known set of conventions -a few dozen- which you abide by. So Yeah doing Google auth is easier but you could as well do it on your own if you're moderately competent.

Then tell me about the hard parts. Invoice generation? Fault tolerant transaction logging? All this is not hard. You should just be aware of these concerns and record them in your specification prior to writing your codebase.

sure but it's a lot of responsibility that most people don't want to take
financial details is up there with social security details as one of the few things that cannot be wrong unless you want to get sued

Financial details don't have to be stored in your database and if they are, a hashing+salting function that makes sure nothing is accessible in the DB is enough. Use a Key vault for your secret and that's how 99% of large ecommerce companies do it.