Home server in PC

Why shouldn't I have a home server integrated into my daily driver PC, in a VM or something, and have it 24/7?
>i7-12700
>DDR4 3200 CL16
>fast NVMe
>6 SATA ports on motherboard

Attached: 1657436077351.jpg (2048x1536, 601.14K)

>Why shouldn't I have a single point of failure for all my files/services?

>what is RAID
>what are regular off-site backups

>Totally missing the point

well, a dedicated server would also be a single point of failure. what do you think im going to have a datacenter at home?

>what is uptime
>what is crashes
also, not mentioned yet
>what is context switching?
>what are interrupt requests?
>what is bandwidth?

Explain then. If I had my home server in separate box, it would still be a single point of failure for all those important services that I need to host for me and my family, wouldn't it?

No.
Your workstation now becomes your single point of failure.
Imagine if you ran DNS services on your 'server/workstation,' then updated your workstation.

During updates, your entire network does not have DNS.
If you have a tiny, single person network...probably fine. But, in any normal network, this is unacceptable.

risk of data loss due to hardware failure, malware, lightning, or accidental deletion, no ECC, excessive power use and noise

>no ECC
forgot about this one, nice catch
don't forget about ECC OP

>updated your workstation
It is a home server, so occasional downtimes are inevitable anyway. But this can be mitigated by running something like Qubes OS - all my "daily driver" stuff would be in VMs that can be updated easily without affecting other VMs. And dom0 doesn't need updates very often.
>risk of data loss due to hardware failure
Same with a home server box standing right next to it.
>malware
Can be mitigated by OS, see above.
>lightning
Same with a dedicated box.
>accidental deletion
What?
>excessive power use
Is it really? I think 12700 can be as energy efficient as Xeons.
>no ECC
Alright, forgot about that. But please explain me, anons, is it really that necessary? Are memory errors so prevalent that I need such costly protection? It's not just memory, it's the motherboard as well (which, by the way, I couldn't have Coreboot on).

>is it really that necessary?
>what is bit-rot?
Bro it all depends on what you are doing with it.

In terms of your decade-old 'idea:'

Will you notice it? Probably not.
Is it a good idea? Probably not.
Do you do this professional like the people replying in the thread? Probably not.

Flip your argument around and do a thought experiment:
>Why don't you integrate your daily driver PC into a server and remote into it from a thin client?
Because it fucking sucks, that's why.
Same reason for your braindead, 10-year-old idea.

Home server on primary system is just fine so long as you're willing to potentially lose data. As long as anything important is stored with your own encryption in a cloud service or externally/off-site, you're just fine.

There are more upsides than downsides to consolidating storage into your primary machine.

I've got my system set up to share media throughout the house and it's fantastic. Everything important(IE: NOT media) is stored in cold storage on and offsite as well as some things are stored offsite in cloud storage.

that's assuming only storage
OP seems pretty green/junior so I can't imagine he's doing anything 'real'

Valid point but whatever. The desktop PC I have is the only remotely fast device in my house so why not use it for all possible things?
Currently it's a
>router
>seedbox
>fileserver
>Facebook/YouTube machine
>print server
Would have turned it to WiFi access point too if I already didn't have one.

>what is bit-rot?
>Do you do this professional
I'm not, so forgive me for asking: what is a realistic scenario I can encounter data corruption in? Because, for example, if I'm downloading or uploading something, the software verifies checksums all the time anyway, so any memory corruption would be quickly noticed and repaired (and having a false positive checksum verification is highly unlikely). DNS? VPN? XMPP?

What would you consider "real", bearing in mind that home server is literally in the subject?

MP3 downloaded/ripped then stored on disk
Copy operation
Another copy operation
Another copy operation
Bit-rot occurs

The more your computer is doing, then higher chance of this occurring due to the aforementioned non-ECC RAM.

>sandbox VM
>pihole
>directory services (shut up people do it at home)
>storage
>emby/streaming
>deluge/torrent seedbox
>metrics/log server
>monitoring server
>home assistant / dashboard software
>NVR server

every time I come here I realize Any Forums is the stupidest board of all

Dude, I'm a webdev/netops guy who also likes to produce music and play video games. I literally do all of that on the same machine. As long as you have important shit offsite and/or in cold storage, you're good. Whether OP's use case is "just storage" or as extensive as mine is irrelevant if they've got the hardware and knowledge to support it.

Dude, with modern operating systems and file systems, ECC is overkill for anything not literally mission critical while handling terrabytes worth of data on a daily basis. In the last 12 years of running systems like mine with both server and userland applications running on the same system concurrently, I've literally had ZERO data corruption on-disk in the that entire time. "Bit rot" is overblown. The REAL killers of data is shit operating systems like Windows and macOS and bad hardware.

>produce music
>play games
This is what 'workstations' are built to do as they are "single purpose" with "direct access" to the hardware .

You are only considering "storage."
Storage is one of MANY services OP may just to 'integrate' with his home workstation.

If OP wants to do 'more' than simple sharing/storing files, and run VMs like he suggested in his post, then he is introducing factors he, and you, are not considering.

Again, Any Forums is filled with retards.
I'm not surprised a 'webdev/netops' faggot thinks what he thinks.