Disabling Intel Management Engine on new laptops

So let me get this straight, if I have one of these modern Acer goybooks I'm literally fucked and have to accept living with a spyware embedded into my laptop? So the only way to remain completely anonymous is to use old shitty fucking Thinkpads?

Attached: acerswift.jpg (1920x1227, 248.1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9fhNokIgBMU
blackhat.com/docs/eu-17/materials/eu-17-Goryachy-How-To-Hack-A-Turned-Off-Computer-Or-Running-Unsigned-Code-In-Intel-Management-Engine-wp.pdf
radiostudent.si/sites/default/files/priloge/2018-01-15/intel-me-carikli-article-print-2.pdf
fruct.org/publications/acm20/files/Ogo.pdf
youtu.be/_eSAF_qT_FY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can remove the ME firmware blob from the BIOS but if it's a modern Intel chip it won't boot without it.

so is there absolutely no way currently to use any modern laptop without the intel ME?

Correct. You can't remove it because it's involved in bringing up the PCH and CPU. You can't modify the blob to remove everything but the bringup code because it's signed and won't load without a correct signature. Best you can do is pick the "disable" options for it in BIOS. When disabled, it allegedly deactivates itself after boot.

RISC-V will likely create solutions free of blobs like the Intel ME, but presently virtually no computers without severely degraded performance/efficiency are free of such blobs.

The good news though is there is no actual evidence the NSA uses the Intel ME as a backdoor other than deranged ranting.

Mate, anything built later than 2000 is pozzed. If you wish to use such devices, you just need to live with that.

Friendly reminder to take your meds, IME isn't spyware

Attached: Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 22-41-28 Pentium III - Wikipedia.png (1642x317, 90.12K)

You cannot disable IME nor AMD PSP.

imagine being this naive lol

blackpilling

Well, while there is no evidence that the ME connects to external servers, it could contain a backdoor that could be triggered by an incoming connection. On your own network, it wouldn't really be an issue as the glowies would need to get inside your network before doing anything, but on a public wireless network, they could exploit such a backdoor. Of course, I don't think that they would use such a sophisticated attack on a random Any Forumstard.
There is no evidence that the ME is spyware, but there is no evidence that it isn't either.

If you truly believe it spies on you, why not provide some evidence? Like a network capture showing that it sends your data away
Literally nobody has ever been able to come up with anything

>There is no evidence that the ME is spyware, but there is no evidence that it isn't either.
There is no evidence that I'm a talking shark using a robotic exoskeleton to type this post, but there is no evidence that I'm not either.

it is completely proprietary software so you have absolutely zero idea about what they coded into it, so we all just operate on the belief that nothing malicious was coded into it because big corpo and big gubbermint are the good guys and would never do that, and we have no way to check. Do you think the people who brought you the Patriot Act would not use this feature?

oops meant for this faggot

>it is completely proprietary software so you have absolutely zero idea about what they coded into it
imagine getting filtered by a binary blob

Reminder that your CPU microcode/BIOS is also completely proprietary, there's literally no need for a separate chip to spy on you

>The good news though is there is no actual evidence the NSA uses the Intel ME as a backdoor other than deranged ranting.
Why do you keep on insisting on this? If there was the news about it, they'd have to develop a new backdoor because it wouldn't be good enough for intelligence operations. There are papers, presentations and demos showing that you can use IME as a backdoor. Stop being a dick.

>There are papers, presentations and demos showing that you can use IME as a backdoor.
Should be easy to link one

youtu.be/9fhNokIgBMU

blackhat.com/docs/eu-17/materials/eu-17-Goryachy-How-To-Hack-A-Turned-Off-Computer-Or-Running-Unsigned-Code-In-Intel-Management-Engine-wp.pdf
radiostudent.si/sites/default/files/priloge/2018-01-15/intel-me-carikli-article-print-2.pdf
fruct.org/publications/acm20/files/Ogo.pdf

Unfortunately I don't have any pcap evidence, but as other user's have pointed out it's proprietary firmware we have no control over with it's own TCP/IP stack outside of the main CPU. It's a closed blackbox, it restricts freedom, so on principle it might as well be spyware/malware. Also - this guy reverse engineered what he calls ring -3. He says it's even more insidious than IME and nobody seems to be talking about it.

youtu.be/_eSAF_qT_FY

Look it up faggot. Even wikipedia has sourced references for remote vulnerabilities aka backdoors in the IME these days. Glow harder.

>it's proprietary firmware we have no control over with it's own TCP/IP stack outside of the main CPU
so don't connect it to the fucking network you dope

Are you talking about the AMT vulnerabilities? Those require you to explicitly enable the remote management functionality in the BIOS and are only available on enterprise hardware anyway

>just don't use the internet bro
are you fucking retarded

Yes, as long as you never connect Intel machines to a network they are perfectly safe.

the last time you could completely disable me was back in the core 2 duo days. you HAVE to keep it running in some form in machines made since 2010

>Those require you to explicitly enable the remote management functionality in the BIOS
Incorrect.
>are only available on enterprise hardware anyway
aka stinkpads and office PCs

Is Any Forums really this retarded that you idiots can't into networking and block a fucking ME out of band connection from your network? Has it really gotten this bad?

>yea bro, there's chemical shit in the air, just stop breathing. plastics in the water? just don't drink water dumbass. glyphosate in the food? just stop eating. drunk drivers on the road? just stop driving idiot. don't do anything to fix the problem, just stop doing the thing and the problem will go away.

>requirements for remote exploitation
>AMT is activated
So nothing-burger

*laughs in libreboot*

How do you know what to block?

Oh look here's another one

by not being a fucking moron and understanding networking

So you don't know.

Tards obsessed with the intel ME think there motherboard has a 4g modem n shit

>yall be skeptical n shieeet

Attached: shiet.jpg (1200x675, 274.18K)

Ok, apparently I don't know how to block unwanted traffic on my network according to you?

>Has no argument
>Time for racism.jpg