/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: jammy.png (1280x720, 279.82K)

Ubuntu Snap is the future

I hate ubuntu niggers.

Attached: file.png (1200x1193, 256.03K)

Canonical wishes. Only they care about it though.

Soon to be Microsoft Ubuntu LTS

Mint is Ubuntu, retard.

Historically, there has been more snaps than flatpaks. Snaps cover more applications such as command line and have a more advanced permission model.

I'm considering a full switch to opensuse exactly because I'm fed up with arch's 100% community management. arch is cool, it has all the software, it just werks, but it's too disorganized.

opensuse seems to be exactly what I was looking for, a rolling release distro with an actual organization behind it. I'm a long time user and I just want a comfy distro to work.

Attached: index.png (225x225, 3.87K)

Snaps and Flatpaks are fucking bloated and gay.

If you want something comprehensive, why don't you install a Debian based OS like Ubuntu?

Snap is used mainly on one distribution and is largely ignored by the vast majority.

While I don't agree with you about Arch being messy I'm glad you've found another rolling distro that you're happy with.

apt fucking sucks

What is the most bloated distro?

also can you give me your quick thoughts on
>Devuan
>Void
>Artix
>AntiX
>MX Linux

Attached: 6vsh5rfnxz991.png (416x416, 224.68K)

Seriously, does it really bother you? I tried a lot of Linux OSes before retrying Ubuntu and i must say it's the most just werks robust one i used aside from Debian.

Name one (1) reason why.

Try Arch, then.

Debian and openSUSE
At least these are the ones I tried that were full of unnecessary shit.

>Most bloated
Probably non-minimal Ubuntu or Manjaro
>Devuan
Debian without systemd. Uses SysV instead.
>Void
Original distro using runit and it's own package manager (xbps.) Fairly good repos and quick installer
>Artix
Arch without systemd, with a collection of other inits you can replace it with (OpenRC, runit, s6, Suite66 and dinit.)
>AntiX
Debian but made to run on quite low spec computers. Great distro to use to make older then average computers come to mostly life again
>MX Linux
Was once a spin of AntiX but became it's own thing. Still Debian based but has it's own suite of "MX Tools" that can help you do admin tasks.

Removing packages that are covered by metapackages risks uninstalling the entire system.

lmao literally ubuntu

I haven't used a debian-based distro since 2015 or so. I don't know if that's changed, but the debian family used to have ancient software, even in debian sid, and too much patching over the upstream packages. and also rolling release is a must for me, I'd consider using ubuntu if it was RR, but I'm not waiting 6 months for updates anymore.

>While I don't agree with you about Arch being messy
I used it for about 7 years and never had the kind of trouble people associate with it superficially. in all this time, I only had X11 problems once, and it was an actual bug in the mesa package that affected my GPU specifically (RX 5600XT), but it was fixed very quickly. I really like arch.

what made me want to switch was GNU guile. the guile package is in arch's core repo, which I expected to be well maintained, but it's orphaned and in version 2.2. guile 3.0 was released in january 2020 and in 2.5 years apparently no one bothered to update the package. guile3 and guile-git are available in AUR but I shouldn't need AUR for something like this.

>but I shouldn't need AUR for something like this
Volunteer yourself as its maintainer for the main repo, then.

You could probably just notify the devs on the BBS or IRC or some such that GNU Guile hasn't been updated in a while. Same thing happened with the glibc package where people found out that it was a bit too out of date so the maintainers were called to action to fix it.

Should've just set up Chaotic AUR. Would've been able to get guile from it like a binary package as CAUR autobuilds a vast selection of AUR packages, which guile is probably one of them.

lads how do I share a printer through samba? I tried everything and it always fails
I have a directory shared through samba already so it's working at least, but whenever I try adding a printer on a windows client it fails and logs state that I am successfully authenticating but still unable to add a printer
archwiki and any other guide out there lists config file the snippet of I have here
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba

does /var/spool/samba need to exist? it's non-existent on my system but no guide or article tells to make it.