/osg/ - Operating Systems General

This thread is for the discussion of operating systems and their design, development, and usage.
Basic questions about mainstream operating systems (Windows, macOS, Linux) are not allowed; there are other generals for them.
Discuss your hopes and desires for future OSes, insights into OS design, and experience with OS development and usage.

>Interesting Projects
Singularity/Midori, Managed microkernel OS in C# with software-isolated processes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(operating_system)
joeduffyblog.com/2015/11/03/blogging-about-midori/
Mezzano, an OS in Common Lisp.
github.com/froggey/Mezzano
TempleOS, ring-0-only JIT-compiled C64-style OS for x64.
templeos.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TempleOS
Theusus, an OS using a novel concept of biological cells in Rust
github.com/theseus-os/Theseus
Barrelfish, a distributed multikernel OS
barrelfish.org/
CollapseOS, an OS for bootstrapping computers after societal collapse, using Forth.
collapseos.org/
Fuchsia, a modern capability-based OS by Google
fuchsia.dev/

>Kernel designs
monolithic (The industry standard, See Linux)
microkernel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L4_microkernel_family
exokernel (TempleOS had an exokernel as a side-effect of its primary design)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exokernel
unikernel
unikernel.org/
github.com/cloudius-systems/osv
unikraft.org/
multikernel
microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/paper.pdf
zero-kernel
ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6480455

>Operating System Development
Intel Software Developer Manual
intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/intel-sdm.html
AMD64 Programmer's Manual
amd.com/system/files/TechDocs/40332.pdf
The original OSDev Wiki: has a lot of information but some is opinionated. Read with a grain of salt.
wiki.osdev.org/
UEFI Specification
uefi.org/specifications

Attached: Windows 2000 architecture.png (1597x2047, 165.88K)

>Is it possible to make an OS in CL?
Yes, the Lisp runtime just has to be ported to the bare-metal ISA. There's no other language used in Mezzano.

so, when is some CL schizo finally going to do this? How hard can it possibly be

Already done. See the link to Mezzano in the OP.

>Other 0.2%

Click on the language stats shithead. Which of these is actually code and not docs/build scripting?

Attached: file.png (271x392, 10.43K)

>when your lang is so trash you need bash

>unix turds can't do anything without bash
but, nice bait.

not a bait, if CL wasn't trash you wouldn't need any of this, you're basically admitting that CL is so convoluted you can't even build docs or whatever else with it

Can you show me any other OS project that didn't use a language other than its own main language for the entire project, including documentation (no markdown, no bash, no python, no powershell, etc.)?

no other project has faggots who cope about purism like this

>>Other 0.2%
>>when your lang is so trash you need bash
>no other project has faggots who cope about purism like this
6/10 bait

Attached: hmm.jpg (225x225, 7K)

>the whole point is to have OS in CL
>not 100%
>pointing this out is bait
okay retard

I pointed out that the OS is indeed all in CL, and the build scripts and documentation are in their respective languages best for the task. Unless you think the README should also be in CL, in which case you're a fucking retard.

>common lisp is so good but it can't do this trivial thing

>common lisp is so good
when did I say that. Are you a bot?

I see, thanks. Can you manually allocate and free memory in CL like you would in C? Or how does it work?

are you actually retarded?

>I see, thanks. Can you manually allocate and free memory in CL like you would in C? Or how does it work?
I haven't looked deep into the source code but I would guess that the runtime provides functions for obtaining chunks of memory and freeing them, and also to read/write to certain addresses directly.

OP, your threads are dying like flies. You need to build a better starting point.

Like discussing the collaborative building of a new operating system?

Or maybe just turn into a TempleOS general, there seems to be a lot of conversation that takes place about it whenever a TOS thread is made.