"Matthew Garrett discovered that Linux wouldn't boot by default on the new Lenovo ThinkPad Z13 due to it by default not...

"Matthew Garrett discovered that Linux wouldn't boot by default on the new Lenovo ThinkPad Z13 due to it by default not trusting bootloaders/drivers signed with the Microsoft 3rd Party UEFI CA Key"

Attached: 20220708_075628.jpg (720x316, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/campaigns/campaigns-summaries#secureboot
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"This means that given the default firmware configuration, nothing other than Windows will boot. It also means that you won't be able to boot from any third-party external peripherals that are plugged in via Thunderbolt. There's no security benefit to this. If you want security here you're paying attention to the values measured into the TPM, and thanks to Microsoft's own specification for measurements made into PCR 7, switching from booting Windows to booting something signed with the 3rd party signing key will change the measurements and invalidate any sealed secrets. It's trivial to detect this. Distrusting the 3rd party CA by default doesn't improve security, it just makes it harder for users to boot alternative operating systems."

stop being a useless faggot posting sensationalist headlines

you just turn that setting off and it works

So how did he boot it?

>chink brand
>it sucks
who knew

With windows

> Any Forums schizo predictions stay winning

Attached: 1657202428176.jpg (575x580, 52.77K)

Can you still install your own Secure Boot CA?

There has been zero info about Pluton in Zen4, i wonder if it will make its way there. In any case i'm glad i got Alder Lake. Even with just Win11 now it will refuse to start unless you enable Secure Boot so you won't be able to dualboot effortlessly unless you generate keys for your distro to make both OSes work with Secure Boot...

Attached: 2Z1hazS.png (824x550, 491.71K)

Oh no! Who could have guessed this?... Oh yeah, everyone with a brain.
>Just turn the settings off bro
Said the frog in the pot.

"Secure" boot is a scam

You can change it in the firmware configuration menu for now, wait another 5 years and that will no longer be the case. You will have to install custom BIOS just to be able to boot Linux. Wait another 5 years and even that will be impossible, Linux will be relegated to old and enthusiast hardware. You chose this future.

I don't want to downplay this (Pluton is garbage), but isn't this basically the same as secure boot was? As in, you turn it off and stuff just works.

I fully expect Pluton to have self-burning fuses like on the Xbox360 if it doesn't already. Crap like "yeah you can install a patched BIOS for Ubuntu using an exploit but ONLY if you're lucky enough to have this rare untouched v1.00001a version of the board from the first month of production that luckily was never connected to the internet" that you see on consoles is Microsoft's vision of the future PC

So we finally arrive at the "extinguish" part of the old MS textbook.

buy a real laptop and not a trannypad and it will not be an issue

Reminder: Secure boot only exists because Microsoft didn't want people injecting SLIC license tables for OEM crack-tivation like they used to on Win7/Vista/XP.

Attached: RedpilliestBoi.jpg (1776x2622, 2.35M)

i wish i could meet you in real life. ive always wanted to know how paid actors look like. i would probably glance at you for a few seconds before grabbing the closest solid object i could see and repeatedly smash it onto your head over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again until it looks like my shit the morning after i have mexican food

>STOP DOING WHAT YOU WANT WITH THE HARDWARE YOU PAID FOR

You'd have to be insane to believe this

weren't windows users supposed to be IT professionals who earn 6 figures and can easily afford windows licenses for everyone in their extended family tree?

You can turn it off. Or buy a dell. Dell doesn't ship with pluton turned on.

you probably also have to be insane to believe my shock when me rooting my samsung phone voided its warranty because a fuse, designed to blow when you overwrite the stock rom, did the needful

You would have to be insane to A. Not research your phone before buying it and B. Buying a Samsung.

>weren't windows users supposed to be IT professionals who earn 6 figures and can easily afford windows licenses for everyone in their extended family tree?
yes, but i'd rather spend it on hookers and blow. fuck microsoft

poorfag cope, with the money you spend on a license you couldn't buy even half a decent hooker

'member when the freetards brought this up in the early 2010s?
fsf.org/campaigns/campaigns-summaries#secureboot
apologize

Attached: restricted-boots.jpg (250x452, 66.77K)

>Linux will be relegated to old and enthusiast hardware.
you saying it's not now? the only reason i installed linux because my hardware was shit

>missing the entire point