EU TO BAN AV1 CODEC?

reuters.com/technology/exclusive-eu-antitrust-regulators-probing-tech-group-aoms-video-licensing-policy-2022-07-07/

EU antitrust regulators are investigating the video licensing policy of the Alliance for Open Media (AOM), whose members include Alphabet (GOOGL.O) unit Google, Amazon (AMZN.O), Apple (AAPL.O) and Meta , the European Commission said on Thursday.

Attached: 640px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png (640x427, 13.57K)

>"The Commission has information that AOM and its members may be imposing licensing terms (mandatory royalty-free cross licensing) on innovators that were not a part of AOM at the time of the creation of the AV1 technical, but whose patents are deemed essential to (its) technical specifications," the paper said.
Is that like copyleft? The horror.

Glad I don't live in YUROPOOR, how retarded can you be?

Retarded enough to end up on 4ch of all places in the world.

daily reminder this is what ukropia dying for
BHUHAHHAHAHAH

Freedom?

They are dying for AV1? Wow Video encodes are serious business

wait, how the fuck is an open source project a trust?

theora is the only true open video codec.
vp8, vp9 and av1 are just corporate larps to enslave you

Good thing that I live in the EU, where software patents don't exist

Things like this convince me that the EU leadership (a big committee of bored stuffed suits in a smoke-filled room?) has lost all grip on reality.

Right about how things were in Rome before the barbs sacked it.

So, in 3.. 2.. 1..

No, they're right. Americans got too cocky with their garbage corporate standards and ultracapitalism. If they wish to trade in EU territory, they need to be kept on a leash.

>imposing licensing terms (mandatory royalty-free cross licensing)
Oh no!

Based! I need the EU to save me from royalty free cross licensing. Such a horrible thing to have to endure.

they never had a grip to begin with dude. this is just business as usual at the EC

Fortunately the cookie popups will save us from capitalism.

>just surrender bro. you wouldn't even die if you'd just let Russia invade you. fake war

It's just patent flunkies scared for their free income. At least they're merely complaining and launching investigations that will be shut down immediately in the EU, while in the US, they lead the scene and actually have patents on algorithms and are the reason why AV1 was necessary in the first place.

Hum...I wonder who tipped them.

Does that mean that we could use x264, x265 and so on if Any Forums was hosted in Europe?

isn't like royalty free? what licensings?

Unironically true though. What are they gonna do? Put normal people in gas chambers or somerhing?