GNU/Jami messenger

I finally figured out why my self-hosted Matrix server doesn’t support federation or calls. To fix it I’d need to pretty much nuke it.
Since it leaks metadata, I decided to look for alternatives.
What do you think about Jami? It’s GNU and supposedly P2P, though it seems to have some servers for Registration?

Attached: LF5vuX5GDR5v.jpg (317x329, 18.28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vituperative.github.io/i2pchat/)
getsession.org
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25687395
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I used it to make P2P video calls to other Android phones.
It worked perfectly. But none of my friends has installed the app. They are all on Whatsapp.

Eh, I have one friend that will use it and can ask family to use it too.
Most of my gaming buddies will remain on discord, though, but that’s OK.

How’s it on privacy standpoint?

Why not just use Signal? More normie friendly, and it has P2P calls if that's what you're looking to get out of Jami.

> signal
Mandatory phone registration.
I’m looking for 2 things:
1. Private and anonymous
2. Can be used on both phone and pc
3. (Mandatory for server-based) self hosted

> How’s it on privacy standpoint?
It is encrypted and P2P using DHT with no central server.
But it is not anonymized like e.g I2P Chat. The ISP still can see that a Jami "node" is talking to another node.

> 1. Private and anonymous
> 3. (Mandatory for server-based) self hosted
This is where you fail. A secure system that is anonymous has to be decentralized and should not be federated.
So far I2P Chat (vituperative.github.io/i2pchat/) only has a Qt client but it is the only one that fulfills all my requirements.

Unless you're running your peer-to-peer messenger through torsocks or something that's not going to be completely anonymous either

You said you'd be using it with friends and family, they would already have your phone number, wouldn't they? Also, Signal does have a desktop version

If you're looking to go turbo autist the only thing I can recommend is Tox (with onion routing) but it doesn't have an iOS app iirc

Just use XMPP

>Leaks metadata
What does this mean?

Jami is pretty buggy and only works correctly half of the time.
I switched to XMPP.

getsession.org
Decentralised
Onion routed (not CIA tor)
No phone or email required
Free
Uncensorable
e2e 100 user group chats
Open source
Available on all platforms

Seems pretty good, thanks.
That is why I wrote that (3) is for server-based only. But why would it not be anonymous if all the data is only on my server and I don’t keep any logs?
Honestly, I just want a solution that doesn’t collect any data about me and doesn’t have my data anywhere that I don’t control, be it my server or my friends’ phone.
And signal I won’t touch for the same reason I won’t use Telegram-> mandatory phone number registration.
I’ll look into Tox, thanks.
No voice last I checked.
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25687395
Dang it. How’s your experience with screen sharing and calls on XMPP? What are you using as a front end?
I can’t quite remember my beef with session, but I distinctly remember voting against it. Maybe not self hosted?
Will check it again.

nothing goy go back to sleep

Apparently, I still need a JAMS Server and probably a Coturn server too.

Attached: cMpYztwyHSZa.png (1242x2688, 430.26K)

>Maybe not self hosted?
It's not self hosted because there is nothing to host. Calls are P2P and messages are routed through tor/onion. It doesn't have group calls/video though.

>How’s your experience with screen sharing and calls on XMPP?
Never did it before, I only use XMPP for text.
>What are you using as a front end?
I'm using Pidgin but thinking about switching to kopete.
They're pretty old-school clients so probably not what you're looking for.

> nothing to host
Jams and TURN?
> group video
Their web page mentions conferences.
> text only
Considering that my main use case is to talk to family from my computer to their phones, this is pretty much useless to me.

>Considering that my main use case is to talk to family from my computer to their phones, this is pretty much useless to me.
XMPP can make video/audio calls I just never set it up with my server.

>no voice
ur stoopid, use a better server/client (and a server with a competent sysadmin).

Totally got filtered by the certificate thing while trying to install Matrix. Would have loved it over Jami because mobile devices aren't really reachable 100% of the time so the P2P is out of the window.
Why can't there be anything simple where you got the Android and PC app and a server software for Linux and then connect to a simple IP:port. Fucking certificates.

>Mandatory phone registration.
This is why I use signal desu. I want it to be a drop in replacement for sms and calling. I don't want to talk to random anonymous internet faggots who I don't really know in real life on signal, there are a billion other things to do that on. I use Signal for people who I'd give my phone number to.