Plex

Tell me about your Plex server. What do you run it on? I have an old Shield TV and a Synology NAS and the Shield is buggy as hell. Do I just need to get a new Shield? A new NAS? Some other shit? Please advise.

Also Plex General.

Attached: Plex_Logo.jpg (840x400, 24.81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have it on a Synology NAS and use it on a PS5 & Android phone. They work okay except the PS5 doesn't really like HEVC content. I generally just end up hard encoding subs for animu and all other media to x264 so I don't have to worry about shit not working.

Windows SMB share and Kodi

Just werks

Windows SMB and VLC
Plex is bloat

I just run it on one of my Linux boxes at home. Clients are Rokus. Everything works fine.

>vlc
LMAO

I run it on a nuc with a J5005, but it makes more sense to build a small server with the ITX-J5005, which is btw listed in the corresponding /hsg/ thread: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
iGPU supports h.265 decoding, low tdp and runs with up to 16gb of lddr3. Obviously this relies on you having payed the shekels for gpu transcode, but live cpu transcoding for video streaming is retard tier. So if you're too cheap to pay for the pass during a sale go for jellyfin.

Run jellyfin in docker on a ds920+, finds media fine but playback results in dropped frames over my local lan and Wifi no matter what settings I use. However browsing to media via my pc in Windows explorer and playing through mpv results in perfect playback and no dropped frames at all. Anyone have any idea why this happens? The client I'm using is a Google chromecast with google tv.

Plex' android client is just REALLY shit. I can't say Jellyfin was any better the last time I tried it. Maybe it's better on Apple TV? No idea.

If you're hosting multiple people - find an Nvidia P2000 if you can get one relatively cheap - you can have a couple 4k streams or 10-15x 1080p transcode streams run at the same time with the cpu doing practically 0 work.

Some normal geforce cards are locked into 1-2 encoder streams for live recording twitch zoomers, but supposedly the capability of all the encoder streams of the pro cards are in the phsyical die and you can unlock them with modified drivers. Haven't tried.

Separate your argggh matey apps/services into a VM with bridged networking or a low power SFF box so you can just easily suspend them independently of your plex server.

i try it run plex my server couple months. run like shit client side. no problem on server. but its sucks. so i change to jelly and it works so much better. clients works better and over to internet to and my friend say same thing. only promblem is on jelly livet-tv not work good but maybe they fix that shit..

I bought an old gaming PC from a recycling center yesrs ago. Works with everything I throw at it. 31TB of storage. Whole infra too.
Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Prowlarr, qbittorrent, DDNS client.
TV has a built in app. I also have Android app and desktop app.
Plex is port forwarded. Radarr and Sonarr too (with auth) so I can use nzb360 from my phone.

I haven't touched an actual torrent site in months. Everything is added on a schedule. I can watch or chromecast from anywhere and queue up movies from anywhere.

Comfy as shit

I run it on my seedbox. I use a shield and don’t have to transcode anything so it works fine

rtorrent and sshfs, I don't get why you need all those things to view moving pictures.

what is plex?

Is there any reason to use Prowalrr instead of Jackett?

>6700k inside node 304 connected to tv
>two 4tb drives (#mergerfs #yolo) + one old 1.5tb samsung drive for downloads
>ubuntu 20.04
>logitech harmony remote connected via bluetooth as keyboard (just works so w/e)
>plex, flexget, transmission, basic scripts to sort shit out
>plex-htpc on autorun

I run it on a RPI4 as running it on my Synology ds220j was sluggish

Why not just use it through Kodi's Plex plugin?

it's a media server that allows you to host your own shit, takes care of organizing stuff, metadata, transcoding (if you need).

it has very good client support

Tried that through the kodi app for android. Took a good minute to even start playing a 20gb 1080p file.