Microsoft Store set to ban paid FOSS programs

sfconservancy.org/blog/2022/jul/07/microsoft-bans-commerical-open-source-in-app-store/

Fucking finally. No more literal whos uploading FOSS programs to the Microsoft Store and charging money for them while contributing nothing to the actual project. Microsoft is saving FOSS yet again.

Attached: Screenshot_20220708_070510.jpg (1080x571, 132.08K)

Other urls found in this thread:

krita.org/en/item/bumping-the-store-prices-for-krita-5-0/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

People use the Microsoft Store?

RIP no more 8 copies of Audacity for $0.99 to scam illiterate kids who want to make ear rape meme audio on their mom's laptop

Does this also ban the practice of double licensing your own software, offering a FOSS source version but charging for binaries on the microsoft store?

Apparently, as Krita devs say they profit from the MS Store enough to pay 6 developers monthly. So they're kinda seething about this decision.

Freetodlers btfo!

I feel bad for krita. Almost makes me want to donate $10 to their patreon. Almost. Sips.

>patreon
DON'T

I'm amazed by this thread. I was expecting the usual "MS did it so it's automatically bad and evil and stuff" Pavlovian responses that Any Forums so commonly goes for.

Attached: 1565339779967.png (705x756, 166.55K)

Private company their store their rules. Flathub does not have this problem.

>in price, not freedom
If you're only offering binaries on the store this shouldn't apply to you then

Kinda stinky for devs who release a paid version for support on the store but distribute it for free elsewhere. I know a few projects like that

Krita does not use Patreon, they use MyKDE

Can't the devs still charge?
To me it reads that random people can't upload Foss stuff like I do currently

Flathub is free

I hang in the Krita IRC, the maintainer thinks it only applies to , else they're in deep shit and will likely have to scale down if they don't find a different source of income on a similar level

B-b-but reddit told me Microsoft loved FOSS now, how could that be?

Are there actual morons that pay for free software just so they don't have to manually download/install it

According to krita.org/en/item/bumping-the-store-prices-for-krita-5-0/ "store sales still are the main source of income for sponsoring development."

Convenience is far more important than freedom (cost and other)

lol soon wincucks will only be able to install from the store just like on macshit