How or where do you learn to code? Maybe I’m too retarded to code but I’d like to try

How or where do you learn to code? Maybe I’m too retarded to code but I’d like to try.

Attached: C6F561AD-3506-4C6F-A774-F310D3189116.gif (498x498, 731.48K)

I read through the first chapters in my dad's programming books when I was 9 and made little guessing games in QBasic. I just kept learning from there.

>but I’d like to try
Then do try. There's nothing else you need to do just to begin.

For Web Dev, The Odin project is good and free. Maximilian Schwarzmüller courses on Udemy are very good too and they are about 10$ when they are on sale.

There are many resources, but try to find some complete program + a ton of practice at the beginning.

After that, you can get to the meme books people often post here. They are actually very good.

Attached: 1654116605096.png (995x713, 323.2K)

My dad wouldnt let me touch a computer or would never buy me a programming book (even though he could) until i was 18 (yes, i was in a school and had no money). Consider yourself lucky.

Visual Basic

Just do it faggot

Best out of the 4 python books i read.

Attached: e_1dsf.jpg (326x466, 35.34K)

Hello fellow retard,

I started learning by following a game development tutorial (java) on youtube. Played around with python's turtle to make geometric art, etc.

Building something is usually the best start.
And it's pretty frustrating at first, desu. There's a dickton to learn, and majority of the time gets spent learning basic shit. It gets better though. Eventually you'll train your memory to remember programming concepts and it, in general, becomes easier to grasp and pick up new information.

>Maximilian Schwarzmüller courses on Udemy
I bought the complete html5/CSS and the complete javascript courses on udemy from Ruben Winkler (german) and it is really good so far. Am thinking of buying the React course from Maximilian Schwarzmüller, is he really so good? is it english only his name sounds german)?

codecademy

i still think to this day the best way to start learning programming is modding a moddable game that you like, or using a scripting system in a game with scripting that you like. you already have a passion for the underlying thing, you know what kind of improvements might make sense, and you're presumably willing to muddle through uncertainty to try making it happen however you need to. it gets you through the hardest foundational concepts of programming in a self-motivating way.. then you can take what you learn "out" to the larger world of general programming and learn why everything architectural (above the basic use of the language) that you did yourself was probably wrong somehow and how you should be doing it.
just my 2c.

Come to Nigeria

With youtube. There a lot free courses in youtube.

You don't. It's over.

Start by modding video games like Quake, Doom, or Half-Life. Make new levels with the Hammer level editor, it's probably the simplest thing you can do. Then move up into more advanced concepts with making new models like objects and importing them into the engine to use them in the game, that's more advanced and Source engine specifically has a really shitty workflow for importing new assets.

You'll learn your way around the Windows file system and should get a nice intro into shell scripts and scripting in general. Stuff that takes a massive amount of time to do manually can be automated with shell scripts. You can automate different steps in the process of taking a finished model you made in modeling software (Blender) and converting it into the engine's format and packing it and getting it into the engine for use in game. On the Half-Life 1 and 2 engines, Valve included pretty much all the useful scripts they used internally with the Half-Life 1 SDK, you'll need to find or make some of your own scripts for working with Half-Life 2's source engine.

Newer engines offer more visual, accessible, integrate workflows that do away with needing to convert assets from one data format to another, and using batch scripts to import the base components of an asset into the engine of choice. Unreal Engine and Unity nowadays are visual wysiwyg editors with drag and drop imports.

The point is to introduce yourself to how data is stored and moved around within an operating system's file system and then command line interfaces; useful to know before taking a deeper look at what working with software entails.

If you're starting from scratch without any concept of how a computer works under the visual interface you've been working in, it could take you 3 months, 6 months, up to a year I'd say before you have a firm understanding for writing any sort of program locally on your computer, on your own, for having your own computer evaluate and throw some results.

You can write a Hello World in no time on a web interpreter, playing around with the command prompt or powershell in Windows is just as easy pretty much, it takes just a little bit of time and key knowledge to set up the tools you need to make a program that does something.

I won't go into all that shit. Do what I suggested above first and then look into how programs are made on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Look into the software and tools you need to be able to write, compile and run programs yourself on your own computer.

Learn Microsoft Excel.

>3 months, 6 months, up to a year

and this assumes you're a total retard starting from scratch.

We're full. Go back.

Before you start, don't even think about getting a job unless you have a CS or Math degree.