Pointers

i dont understand pointers. They obfuscate the original purpose, which is referencing a memory address, but its super clunky to the point of almost absurdity. Your just asking for datatype buggy issues.

Why dont you just reference the original data? or just copy the data from that memory location into another location without putting said memory location at risk of corruption?

Like i get that it was probably super important in ye olden days when clock cycles and memory was literally unavailable but i dont really see the point today.

Attached: serial-exxperiements-lain-episode-9e-e1537389754342.png (1437x840, 329.77K)

>dude just deep copy 5MB a million times bro
>it's 2022 bro just buy a better computer

It would be slow as fuck to copy large data structures constantly all the time. Even with modern computers.

>Why dont you just reference the original data
that's what you're doing
>or just copy the data from that memory location into another location
go back to web dev

>pointers le BAD
>references OK
user dumb silly goose you

a pointer is nothing but a stored reference. Are you asking why you need to store references?

basically yeah im asking why we need to store references.

But secondarily how many pointers pointing at pointers would it take in order for copying the original source data be a more viable option? It couldnt be more than 3.

>It couldnt be more than 3.
this outed your bait

>They obfuscate the original purpose, which is referencing a memory address

Attached: 22edeb2da83d885b01bb7fdd001c860d76ed5660.png (638x359, 246.79K)

understanding structures, pointers to structures, and arrays of pointers to structures exponentially improved my programming ability

I love pointers, they literally make my job easier. Why would I copy shit around when all you need is a pointer, just pass the pointer to whatever needs to access the data and your good. I like it even more when I have a pointer that references a pointer that references a pointer that references a struct that contains pointers. The more pointers I need to deal with the more I get paid and the more retards seethe because they cant wrap their head around simple concepts. Its all just memory, how hard can it be?

Attached: AF4BECD2-8743-4229-B2B1-22AC56E038A2.png (772x605, 1.79M)

also pointers are nonnegotiable when it comes to embedded programming

based pointer chad

Attached: 5730A74F-0162-4BC9-91D8-6D3A7E2E522C.png (3000x2000, 709.76K)

>Like i get that it was probably super important in ye olden days when clock cycles and memory was literally unavailable but i dont really see the point today.
lol
your computer can't do shit without pointer zoomer
how do you propose to store a array of arrays (this one with a length that can change dynamically over time), without pointers?
>They obfuscate the original purpose, which is referencing a memory address
there is no obfuscation, it's just a memory address
it's the syntax that is weird, because * doesn't mean the same thing wether it is on the left hand side or right hand size of =

Is this the thread?

Attached: 1651399528673.jpg (1709x719, 82.78K)

(le triple number)
Based

Attached: IMG_0167.jpg (310x310, 8.13K)

>t. pythonincompoop
just let the adults implement all that shit

>arrays of pointers to structures

i never thought of it like that. Im only a year into embedded programming but really havent done much outside of some small bullshit. That made alot more sense.

No baiting, but definitely dont know what im talking about, apparently.

Do a thought exercise and try to make a program without pointers. You won't get very far.
You mentioned references. References are just wrapped pointers.

If RAM is an array a pointer is just the index number of it like RAM[69420]='\0' and 69420 is the pointer.
Oh, you're an illuterate Amerimutt so the mere existence of the word "address" fucks your brain up?
Also datatype buggy issues? Have you heard about what a union is? All the members in a union share the same memory chunk for advanced datatype transition and saving memory. You didn't even try learning C if you don't know what a union is.
>deepcopy million times
40k malloc() and free()s take 6 seconds even on high end machines. Using pointers to solve this reduces it to 0.6 seconds.
>ye olden days
go back to webdev and reap the benefits of the V8 engine which makes heavy use of pointers
>lain pic
kek, enjoy watching lain on a javascript ridden anime website.

>he uses embedded poothon
kek
>couldnt be more than 3
what made you think like that you absolute niggermonkey retard?

First off, i torrent my chinese cartoons.

Secondly what i meant by "couldnt be more than three" was three datasets full of pointers vs copying what you wanted in the first place. Ill have to run some tests to see how many layers it would take for it to reach that tipping point.

yeah circuit python, gotta start somewhere i suppose. Im working on PIC microcontrollers now and MikroC