Cheap wifi cards for Linux?

Just fixed up an old ass computer, don’t feel like using ethernet since it would mean unplugging my other shit.
Don’t know shit about wifi protocols, what’s a good card that won’t shit the bed with Linux?
It’s cheaper to buy one of those laptop cards and a 10 dollar pci adapter right?
So fuckin many of these I don’t know what to pick.

Attached: 207EBA60-FF4B-4361-9DF9-D1D241E0CEDD.jpg (640x442, 51.36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/blob/main/home/USB_WiFi_Adapters_that_are_supported_with_Linux_in-kernel_drivers.md
wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/mediatek
wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anything with an Intel chipset

Honestly can’t believe the CMOS on this thing didn’t die, it was only like 30 minutes off after sitting in a garage for 7 years

Attached: 1D50B50B-AE60-4EF9-A596-5AC5231588FF.jpg (1280x960, 661.04K)

Yeah gentoo doesnt pick up my card.
Any other linux would though but not gentoo.
Which is fucking stupid.
Oh no yeah sudo emerge linux-firmware without internet bros

Most TP-Link devices are fine.

as said
you can find ax210 (the latest intel wifi chips, make sure that your kernel is >5.10) on a pie for

*[...] on a pcie card for

Thanks
Yeah I felt like trying gentoo out on this thing, have only ever used artix before.
One of my friends had a whole horror story about having to jerryrig a wifi driver for his card off some files from a website entirely in Cyrillic.

just use your android phone as a wifi receiver

Aight thanks

kek I’m still an iToddler, bring on the satania pictures
Haven’t updated it in like 3 years and once it finally dies I’m rooting a jewgle or buying a freedom phone or whatever the fuck it’s called

Is this chink trash legitimate or should I not be buying directly from xi’s finest

Attached: B7956B5B-ECE8-45E5-9A85-47007761794E.jpg (828x916, 312.51K)

buy google pixel and install grapheneos

And Mediatek. Great driver support for that as well. Driver is built in the kernel and you only need to install the firmware.

If you need USB ones take a look here first: github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/blob/main/home/USB_WiFi_Adapters_that_are_supported_with_Linux_in-kernel_drivers.md

wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/mediatek

I can't remember the last time my wifi card didn't work out of the box with Linux.

Thanks for the links, I think I’m gonna grab an AX210 and an adapter off Ali for the collective 20-30 bucks and wait 4 months for it to arrive off some fishing boat, USB wifi does seem pretty useful to have around though.

Some Realtek ones don't. Older ones are usually fine. Especially 802.11n and older. But for 802.11ac you need firmware for everything. Even Qualcomm. But old Ralink, Realtek, Atheros, Intel cards are fine. They work out of the box.

The card in question was a broadcom, not sure the exact model though.

Yeah. Broadcom is for iToddlers. You are shooting yourself in the foot because they are the worst of all.
AX210 is also a good one. Supports monitor mode and packet injection as well just like Mediatek ones. Just have iwlwifi and linux-firmware and you should be fine.

wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi

Just remembered I had these sitting in a bag of spare parts, one is off a laptop and the other is off a powermac I’m pretty sure.

Attached: 7BBFAEDC-FB5B-4961-B098-D2B7AAE751E9.jpg (1280x958, 471.06K)

You can keep both cards. On the left is an Atheros card and the other one is Intel. Both quite old.