Facebook Gave Deleted User Data To LEO

How is this even possible? Isn't the data deleted once you delete it?

Attached: Facebook.png (647x728, 483.35K)

>Air Force vet
lol
lmao

Nothing is ever deleted

You can delete anything but it won't systematically go into every backup and delete it there as well.
If you think this is a problem you should fuck off

The first rule of the internet is once you put something on the internet it stays there forever, even if you think it was deleted.

Isn't it false advertisement to call it deleted then? Can't they get sued for it?

"deleting" your data from a service is just asking a megacorp to hide it from the public eye.

Deleted doesn't mean deleted in social media. It means hidden and archived for future use.

All deleted data is deleted, but some data is more deleted than others.

I mean technically when you delete something on your drive its not deleted. it just gets marks to be "overwritten" and hidden from the user. once the data starts actually filling up on the drive, it gets overwritten and the data is lost.

On HDDs this is considered normal. SSDs are a little different in that the a purge happens whenever the drive is trimmed.

WTF!!!! You mean Facebook isn't going to break the buck for me when the law comes knocking over my illegal activity???????

Can't they get sued for it

Corporations want to save themselves from all liability, they'll never erase anything permanently unless its by accident (catastrophic failure), and they'll throw anyone they have to under the bus. They can afford to put a lifetime's worth of lawyers in front of you so you go broke trying to sue them.

fpbp

kek

so, basically every serious company stores their data in sql.

we'd have a table that looks like this:
user - id | name | group | portrait | disabled

if you really wanted to delete the record for good, you'd do DELETE FROM user WHERE user.id=?

but in reality what companies actually do is UPDATE user SET user.disabled=1 WHERE user.id=?

and then they just check if the user is disabled or not when it checks if the user is there. the data is still there and probably will be forever, but it's just "disabled" on the backend. a lot of people consider this "best practice" even. up to you how you feel about that.

Facebook is just a datamining operation for the government.

What do they even need vets for, checking on the pidgeons or something?

They followed user instructions and took the data off facebook. They are under no obligation to erase any information they have archived somewhere else.

not when the government is the one asking for your "deleted" data

No. In my company we just flag the user data as "deleted" but keep it in the database.

No. They usually have a valid reason for keeping the data, or it's already shared to a 3rd party which is under no obligation to delete the data.