XPS + Linux Battery Life

Is anyone here using a this year or last year xps 15 with linux installed? (Precision line works too)
How is the battery life when using linux on a laptop paired with a nvidia gpu. In general I do not hear good things about it so I'm wondering if it's really that horrible.

I want a new laptop for shitposting, some coding and photo editing and it should last me quite a few years while using linux.

Attached: 1651319829043.jpg (540x675, 73.03K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/us/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-air
github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reading this actually got me wondering.
1. OP why are you posting such a faggot image?
2. what's the best laptop battery life with linux in hours that anyone's experienced?

>1. OP why are you posting such a faggot image?
to get attention from Any Forums obviously.
I have other gay images.

don't buy a laptop with dedicated graphics ("Gaming laptop")

>xps
coil whine
>nvidia
>linux
do americans really

Americans really do
it's horrible here
everyone buys gaming laptops that only work for a year and a half and then they flip flop to a MacBook that will be smashed within 2 years

is it that hard to look after your shit?
i never dropped my phone into water or broke its display, let alone breaking a damn laptop

>is it that hard to look after your shit?
I'm the only American I know that's never cracked their phone
everything is considered disposable here including your children, pets, family, house, culture
you get as much as you can out of thing then you throw it away
I detest these people

macbooks are literately made for photo editors and other art professionals (unless you pirate all your software).
also if you aren't a programmer or already a veteran linux user, you probably aren't gonna like linux.
But don't get a macbook if you aren't willing to pay the premium for at least 1tb of storage (you can also pay even more if you want 2tb), and you probably want 16gb of ram if you plan on using a VM to run linux or something.
Refurbished macbooks are pretty decent because these laptops came from "trade-in" laptops.
apple.com/us/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-air

>I have other gay images.
how do these gay images make you feel?

Linux is only annoying for me to use right now because discord is based on a years-obsolete build of Electron that I can't drag files onto from my file browser.
Other than that, it's pretty competent these days. Wayland feels snappier than Windows or macOS (where xorg felt clunkier than either), pipewire has better audio latency than macOS, etc. Things work better these days.

>discord
>electron
spotted the issue

hey man the CIA needs an entry point on my machine

>I can't drag files onto from my file browser.
unless you are able to load the file using the "open file" dialog, that sounds like you are using flatpak discord (in theory you should keep discord in flatpak, and just keep the images in a location flatpak can access like "pictures", because flatpak is technically a sandbox and if a discord/chrome RCE was discovered, at least your desktop / home files are protected from ransomware, but this doesn't matter if you only use discord for only a single channel with your personal friends).
But the thing I like about osx is that you can use "find my" app and if you lost your laptop you could always find it, and if you have a girlfriend who uses iphone, you can use imessage on your macbook if she demands you to use imessage.

>if you aren't a programmer or already a veteran linux user, you probably aren't gonna like linux
kek
i installed linux (xubuntu) on a dogshit laptop when i was 15 and i only used it to watch anime
>don't get a macbook if you aren't willing to pay the premium
ye, the m2 mbp13 256gb model has 1 nand chip (1x256gb) instead of (2x128gb) so it performs worse than the m1 mbp13
>for at least 1tb of storage
the 512gb on my mbp is fine
>I'm the only American I know that's never cracked their phone
will you turn canadian in case you do break it?
>everything is considered disposable here including your children, pets, family, house, culture
i thought most americans were in debt so their houses were not disposable

There aren't any refurbished m2 laptops, if you buy macbooks not refurbished you are getting scammed (unles you really really really want the 1080p camera).
And right now the macbook air refurbished market is exploding because the m2 just released and a few hundred trade in's are being made.
So if you buy a $1300 1tb 16gb laptop, that would have costed $1600 new. Technically only saving $300 for used might sound like a scam, but these are trade in's. At worst you might need to refund the laptop in less than 14 days, if it's "heavily used" or "smells".
512gb of storage might be enough for you, but if you wanted to run linux in a VM you will be very happy to have 1tb. Also hoarding data is pretty fun.

>do americans really
I'm from europe
so I should rather go for a z16 for example (I would like a +15 inches 16:10 aspect ration screen and the xps ticks most of the boxes except that I can't get a decent configuration (i7 86wh battery) without picking the nvidia rtx 3050ti.
I thought about a MacBook but I heard that window management is utter shit and I really really dislike the stupid notch on their screen. Using Linux is not an issue for me since I've been using it for the past 8 years or so.
very good, thank you for asking. I like men.

I could also go for the last years xps 15 from dells outlet store, they sell a lot of units for a decent price there.

only the macbook pro has the notch, macbook air doesn't have that (but honestly the macbook pro looks pretty sleek with the thin bezels, and the notch is invisible with the expensive mini led display having deep blacks, but it also has blooming so it's a trade off), but if you are a photo editor, you should pick macbook only if you want / like the software on the mac.
Before buying it if you are currently using linux or you have a desktop that is capable of doing VM (aka has enough RAM and storage space), you can run osx on a virtual machine on linux.
github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM
BUT I should warn you that running a VM for osx in long term isn't worth it because all the arrows point to apple depreciating x86 and going 100% arm.

The macbook air screen is too small for my liking. If it were a 14 inch screen I'd consider it but not a 13 inch screen.

Why is his peepee there?

I have a 2021 dell xps 15 with 3050ti and oled QHD+ screen (model number 9510). The only linux distro I've used with it is arch linux. Also only DE i used is kde. The battery life is around 4 hours, but if you mess with some system configuration file to turn off the Nvidia GPU completely, it doubles to 8 hours.

However, I could never get sleep to work correctly. The laptop would could go to sleep but would not be able to wake up correctly (keyboard lights up and fans spin for a second but the screen remains black). I would then need to hold power button for a few seconds to hard reset to be able to use the laptop again.

These minor annoyances sorta bothered me so eventually I said fuck it and went back to windows 10.

POONA