Plex bros, what do you use to store your kinos...

plex bros, what do you use to store your kinos? I've been using a 5tb external HD but I feel like I should back them all up, so should I get another or just keep raw dogging it?

Attached: plexchad.jpg (275x183, 4.82K)

>Plex
Literal spyware.

Shut up faggot.

didn't ask don't care
no

Don't see the point tbqh. Just redownload everything with Sonarr/Radarr if your drive shits the bed.

True, I guess I should just backup the ones that were a PITA to dl in the first place

that external HDD will fail on you eventually. invest in some data redundancy when you can

I just do a big clusterfuck of independent disks, and run a script that inventories all the media files on each drive once every couple months - if I lose a drive --- OH NO! I have to spend 2 weeks redownloading whatever was on it. Unless you're sharing your library with 8000 people then its a WORO type of storage use case anyway, not really worth it to fret over keeping a large scale raid alive and constantly running every drive in the array.

Attached: WORO.png (264x206, 15.58K)

This, Plex is a boiling frog pot and eventually you will be banned or reported to the feds for hosting copyrighted content. Move to jellyfin ASAP

if you're concerned about disk failure setup a RAIDZ1 using ZFS (two usable drives, one parity drive), gives you 2/3rd usable storage, make sure your distro does a monthly scrub and if it doesn't set it up yourself using a cron job, then check on your disk health every now and again (zpool list -v), but it's questionable whether this is really worth it for media files, depends on whether you can easily redownload everything in which case I wouldn't do any redundancy and not use drives for parity

Kind of depends on how much you value the media. Having a large back catalog is nice (I have something like 15TB of movies and TV), but honestly, my internet is fast enough that I can download a 4k movie in 10 minutes. I don't care about redundancy, really.

Now having said that, if I had an extra few hundred dollars, I would get an unraid license and set up my server that way using RAIDZ1 pools and scheduled error checking. And again, honestly, I wouldn't view this as at all necessary, I just enjoy learning this stuff in my free time.

But also, external hard drives are usually the shittiest drives a manufacturer sells. So maybe get some actual desktop drives. If you intend on building a RAID array, avoid SMR drives.

people often say RAID is not a backup, and that's true, it's meant to minimize downtime. I guess having drives in another system that mirror your main drives is better than relying on a single system. Having a second system doubles your cost though. Online backups are much more expensive if you plan to keep your files for any good amount of time. Backblaze B2 charges 5 USD/TB/mo, your 16 TB collection would cost you 960 USD/year to store, if you do stuff like backup using snapshots (you should) it's a bit more. And Backblaze is basically the cheapest cloud storage provider. RAID is kind of the best you can do without wasting a lot of money. Backup your important files (should be a few TB max) with 3-2-1 backup strategy and the remaining stuff is on the RAID. Maybe purchase a 16 TB hard drive (~280 USD) every year and create a cold copy of all your files.

can u host jellyfin on a raspi4 with an external usb 3.0 hdd
i wanna watch movies and seed them back w/out having to waste space on my laptop

get a cm4 and sata breakout board

Shitty Optiplex 3020 with a big ass hdd runing as a server.

Got a DS1621+
Ignore the crashed SSD, it's useless I'll remove it eventually. Theres over 400 TV shows and 7,000 movies on this thing, need to upgrade soon.

Attached: Storage DS1621+.png (3130x1596, 396.46K)

Now there's some autistic data hoarding. Hey, whatever keeps you from crouching naked in the corner punching yourself in the face, right?

How did you know? Please give me purpose or a business idea.

nextcloud and email

>download kino
>watch it
>delete it

I have 4 4tb drives

Four spinning rust units.

Attached: Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 22.33.56.png (736x271, 25.44K)

I have 4 6TB drives in RAID 5 for a total of 18TB of usable space, and I use Backblaze for backups.
>7 bucks a month
>unlimited backup size
>encrypted
>has that continuous backup feature where it's basically watching you storage and willl automatically back up changes on the fly

Drivepool and a bunched off shucked HDDs in a Ryzen system

Attached: 1634635786605.png (2559x1049, 72.75K)

>it's meant to minimize downtime
It does provide you with extra data safety though. It shouldn't replace a full backup but it can't hurt to have that on top, this way if one drive shits the bed and by some stroke of bad luck your backup happens to also be fucked, you still have the option to just swap out the faulty drive and rebuild your data.

B2 is expensive as fuck, but if you're not a business you should stick with the consumer-oriented tier anyway, which is only $7 per month per machine, with unlimited size.

>self-hosting email
Now you're definitely gonna find him crouching in the corner and punching himself.