/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old:What are you working on, Any Forums?

Attached: animal attack simulator.gif (1146x644, 2.39M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pricklypeargames.itch.io/seagreen
github.com/Immediate-Mode-UI/Nuklear
github.com/Immediate-Mode-UI/Nuklear/blob/master/demo/glfw_opengl4/main.c
github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX
github.com/friendlyanon/cmake-init
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Currently working on creating custom window UI logic using raylib in C.
The plan is to create a small framework with which to easily make desktop apps with.
Like seriously, why the fuck is there not a single minimalistic counter desktop application?

game libs are pretty inefficient for GUI applications, games constantly update, GUIs should do event-based updating

I made a new browser game today
pricklypeargames.itch.io/seagreen

Attached: waves game.gif (448x252, 2.77M)

ironically, most game devs prefer immediate mode GUIs.

Where's the irony?

they're the most inefficient things imaginable that rebuild completely, every frame.

Except that ends up not being the cases because games have to render frames anyway, so the amount of work needed to not rebuild things isn't worth the cost.

is .Net hard to learn knowing javascript, Python, CPP and Matlab?

>github.com/Immediate-Mode-UI/Nuklear
brainlet here, how do I use it? I have enough cognitive capacities to understand that a self-contained cross-platform graphic user interface toolkit is probably dependant on backend libraries specific to a certain platform
but again, how do I just render a simple hello world window

github.com/Immediate-Mode-UI/Nuklear/blob/master/demo/glfw_opengl4/main.c

very cool

Decent demo, I just have one nitpick: the music.
Short loops of music are actually worse than no music at all.
I recommend making the length of the music at least two minutes.

>Internally, most VFS implementations are essentially object oriented, even if they are written in C rather than C++. There are several key object types that are normally supported. These include [...]. Each of these has associated operations (methods) that the concrete file systems must support.
Cnile bros... not like this...

What's a good way to practice writing embedded C code? I can't go out and buy specialized hardware so some sort of simulated environment would be great. Also, if anyone has any book recommendations to go along with that I would appreciate it.

board emulators

Thats the point
GUI applications don't need to render every frame, so if you're using a game framework to build a GUI you're making something inefficient

>What are you working on, Any Forums?
I used to love Diablo 1 and had heard of people having reverse-engineered it. A few days ago, I finally got around to looking into the result of that, Devilution(X).
github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

It wouldn't compile on MacOS Mojave at first. I changed some of the CMakefile and got it to compile and run on my system. The debug build worked, too, and I was able to single-step through some code that I had been curious about since my childhood, such as the code that generates the dungeon layouts. It's a re-creation, rather than the original source, but it seems so faithful of a re-creation that what they are doing is probably pretty close. Either way, it was a lot of fun.

I have forgotten the thread now, I'm afraid, but I have made a few changes. One change I made was that I added the ability to enter a seed for dungeon generation. I want it to vaguely behave like Minecraft's seeds, in so far that you can enter plain text phrases or numbers. I am pretty sure that what they do is just hash text strings, although I've never verified that. But that's fine.
Here is a video of those changes. Now, before you start a game, you can enter the seed and I have play-tested this, too. Repeatedly entering the same seed really does generate the same dungeon, quests, monsters, objects, etc. If you leave it blank, you get a random seed, based on the system time, which had been the default behavior. When you find a dungeon layout you like, you can note down the seed. The change adds the ability to display the seed in-game, so you can use that seed during creation of a new game to get the exact same dungeon layout again.

I did find the thread after all: There are pastebins in there for various changes.

Attached: diablo.webm (500x311, 2.82M)

waves should probably be simpler somehow so the player can more easily predict them and use them to their advantage, at present it's basically random

Truly, a language ever dies a hero no one uses, or lives long enough to become a C++-tier monster.

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-07-07 14-36-27.png (714x675, 98.82K)

Python has always been C++ tier

what program is this? looks fun

Reminding anons to use github.com/friendlyanon/cmake-init when creating new C++ and C projects!

Not true, it was mostly coherent, orthogonal and logical, with few hidden rules. Type annotations and async/await changed that.