How does omegle (p2p chat with randos) work without port forwarding?

from my understanding two computers can't talk to each other without open ports on either of them
if there is a way to make this work what's protecting me from becoming part of botnet by just visiting a website?

Attached: tenor.png (640x500, 235.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bford.info/pub/net/p2pnat/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is Omegle actually P2P?

>a way to make this work
STUN
dunno

pretty sure it is. that's how people can get ip addresses of whom they are talking to

there is a non p2p version of omegle right? i forgot the name of it. its a clone afaik.

bford.info/pub/net/p2pnat/
Retard look it up. This is only an issue because of NAT. You don't need port forwarding (which is what you mean by open ports because you right now have open ports) if there wasn't NAT. ipv6 fixes this issue
>if there is a way to make this work what's protecting me from becoming part of botnet by just visiting a website
NAT won't stop you from pinging a server over and over again DDOSing it. It would be a really shitty DDOS attack as users will just leave your site and you would need a lot of traffic to make any sort of good sustained DDOS attack while also being illegal so your site will be shut down.

>This is only an issue because of NAT. You don't need port forwarding (which is what you mean by open ports because you right now have open ports) if there wasn't NAT
but there is NAT and it still works

maybe im retarded but reading wikipedia article about STUN seems like it is to discover open ports? what if there are no open ports as is the router configuration most people have

Of course it is possible however without NAT it would be very simple to do P2P.

hole punching needs to be supported by isp to work

Tcp/udp hole punching. It is possible that omegle has a centralized public ip server as the rendevouz and all the other computers behind the nat negotiate the hole punching and then connect with each other. There has to be a centralized server with a list of people behind nats, and picking random connections to handshake them.

hole punching needs to be supported by ISPs to work

See link for more information about methods to do P2P with NAT besides hole punching.

Hole punching isn't UPnP.

ome tv

isn't this essentiallt bypassing NAT? why couldn't the same be used for malicious purpose?

first link i clicked asks me to start by signing up with fb or vk.com. is that right or is that some scam site? pretty sure omegle was just pick up and go from my memory.

thanks for the link. im starting to understand now

Because first of all getting public ip to bypass the need for the complicated protocol is not hard. IT cost like dollars a month to have public ip where the infected computers are 100% capable of connecting. The problem is not hole punching, the problem is you running malicious software, and there it would be easier to just connect to some public ip. If it weren't for nat traversal, we would quite literally be 100% internet cucks and not be able to self host anything outside our local networks. Also, nat traversal isn't something that can be fixed, it is literally part of connecting to the internet, if you were to drop all packets coming back from the computer, you'd have no connection.

If you think about firewalls don't exactly protect from the intentions of software in your computer, they only protect against services opened on your computer by user negligence. VPS have all ports opened and they are as secure if not more secure than your neglected home pc open ports. SSH must be pub key only, unless you know what you are doing, etc. If you run malicious software in the computer without any sort of network isolation, the program doesn't even see a firewall since the firewall if for outside connections.

NAT was never used for security

It depends on the router

>if there is a way to make this work what's protecting me from becoming part of botnet by just visiting a website?
There are two ways. Either you send everything through the cloud, or you connect directly

STUN is only part of it. The other part is ICE that punches ports open.