OpenWRT

literally who needs this? every router I've ever owned has 10,000 options I don't even know about, so what else do you need? or is it just a privacy thing?

Attached: file.png (894x552, 246.24K)

It's FOSS, your chink router isn't and probably spies on you

Your router will stop getting updates sooner than OpenWRT will. Every feature you can think of is static: you can't run your own code.

My router runs an iodine server for DNS tunneling when I'm in airports, and an KMS server for activating Volume-Licensed Windows. You can't do that without open firmware.

im gonna need a tutorial for that last sentence

my router wouldn't do that to me, user

wtf

It fixed a major issue on my router and now I can finally use it.

Lots of routers have shitty firmware with unreachable settings like max number of connections.
OpenWRT is super stable and very configurable, with very little fine configuration you need to do by default.

It's for proxies and DynDNS and stuff.

Anyone who wants to do any firewalling, vpn or other network configurations besides very simple port forwards needs this.

yea, openwrt is a little linux distro, you can run lots of servers on it
i run a mumble server, tor node, wireguard client, ad blocker, etc on mine
half the things people use rpi's for can be done on their router with openwrt installed
as for the router side, it can handle more connections and do sqm as well, so even purely for routing it's better

Additional packages like collected, wireguard, cake SQM, and split tunneling even, the AdBlock package is pretty good as well.

>so what else do you need?
Up to date software, adblock, MAC randomising, bandwidth monitoring, the list goes on...

>mumble server
Wait, is it beefy enough for that?

my router is a thin client
i guess that's another point: you can use any hardware you want
i needed something beefier for high speed sqm, so i picked this up second hand for ~$41 (adjusted to USD)

Attached: t520.jpg (409x300, 17.45K)

What's a good budget router that supports OpenWRT?

some hacked huaway that you can get with 10 quid on facebook market.

Wouldn't my internet speeds be dogshit?

why? anything made in the past 5 years can handle home gigabit usage

Then you don't need those capabilities. Normals should be chased away from things they don't need because they don't need them and simply annoy everyone else. Go away and you will be happier.

>so what else do you need?
Package installation. LEMP stack right on a router. Updateable openvpn.