WTF

>All assignments must be saved as word documents (.doc or .docx).
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT???

Attached: 2022-07-06-160438_1600x900_scrot.png (834x112, 39.36K)

Lucky for you OpenOffice and LibreOffice can export to legacy .doc or modern .docx so this isn't a problem.

holy fucking kek what the hell is that, they are retarded AS FUCK

>LibreOffice
>docx
nice meme

American teachers.

It literally just works.

Grow up, literal child.

It is the ISO standard agreed upon by diplomats around the world a long time ago, Microsoft did a shit ton of lobbying back in the day to kill odt and the like.

I can tell you've never had to use it in any kind of professional setting, whether corporate or educational. Sure, it might work for basic text (though pagination could be fucked), but nothing else.

>It literally just works.
LibreOffice is bad for docx.

And yet these days MS is forced to offer odt as a default whenever you install Office.

>export PDF to PNG
>put into .doc file with libreoffice

WordPad is free, included with Windows, and is more than enough for 95% of assignments.

Attached: 72C491CC-71EE-4CD4-84DF-A79B71E60695.png (256x256, 30.61K)

It sure as fuck does not. That being said, I've used Writer to rescue borked files, but holy shit incompatibility is huge.

>americuh
and they're paying $50 000 a year for this

>95% of assignments
>cannot into referencing/citations

>I can tell you've never had to use it in any kind of professional setting
Except I have, and if it's complex enough of a document that some elements don't carry over correctly, you can go in and do some tweaking to get things just right. Not hard. I used LibreOffice throughout undergraduate and graduate studies, and at several jobs. I've encountered less than six instances where a professor or employer had an issue with the documents it produced. My graduate studies involved frequent production of multilingual research papers as well (including but not limited to Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, and Devanagari), and not once did I run into an issue.

I don't think that supports images.
Also it doesn't support doc.

>you can go in and do some tweaking to get things just right
And that's one reason it's not popular. It's not bug for bug compatible.

>It literally just works
>just do some tweaking bro it literally just works
kek. yeah, I've used LibreOffice to write papers as well -- which I've then saved as .doc, .odt, or .pdf, but if you're going to use it to collaborate with someone on a .docx file you're absolutely fucked, and you're lying if you pretend otherwise.

4channel girls need external software to get citations right [1], ycombinators hackers win again.

[1] boards.4channel.org/g/thread/87638007

>he thinks word processing applications need external software
>he's too retarded to realize that all I meant is it's not baked into WordPad
hot summer this year

Weird requirement. I've worked as a TA and graded student assignments via Canvas. There's no problems with displaying PDFs or adding annotations to them via the Canvas interface. Surely that should be the standard, right? Especially seeing as LaTeX is the gold standard for all academic papers, so getting students used to the technology should be encouraged.

Stfu freetard

>Stfu freetard

Attached: 1618036624302.jpg (820x791, 190.61K)

You can just type them up manually. If a class is requiring docx files, it's clearly not anything serious.

As far as I know this is kind of a global thing to combat contract cheating because docx leaves in metadata that can show it was not written by the student

>the vast majority of academic institutions in [current year] work with .docx or .pdf
>if it doesn't support my freetardation it's not anything serious

Oh, and WordPad *does* work with .docx. That's not the point.

No one cares that you run arch or whatever tinker tranny distro you waste time on
Your school should've given you an MS office 365 account that you can use through the fucking browser to do whatever inane shit they ask you to do

When you're regularly producing work which has dozens of footnotes at bare minimum, working with something like WordPad is suicidal. Pic related.

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-07-06 17-37-48.png (891x138, 42.05K)

>Liberation Serif
Nice, but get a bit of spacing between those footnotes, it'll look better.

>Your school should've given you an MS office 365 account

Attached: 1616727950172.png (647x778, 57.58K)

Also, WordPad *does* support references

It's a fucking homework, Jesus Christ. They could tell you to do it with pen and paper for all that matters.

>Also, WordPad *does* support references
>doesn't have header/footer functionality
You're the sort of kid who'd show off how tough he is by punching himself in the face.

Whoa, great eye user. It is probably the most legible default font for multilingual papers, and diacritic support is quite respectable. That's from something I wrote a few years ago. Took me a while to get my formatting down pat, but once I did it was a piece of cake. Been done with grad school for two+ years now thank God.

>WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT???

Attached: 1642739900093.png (419x505, 60.35K)