Why did we stop using Basic?

Why did we stop using Basic?

Attached: Basic.png (640x480, 23.79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thegamecreators.com/product/dark-basic-pro-open-source
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

kids lost interest in programming
computers stopped being something you operate and became a form of entertainment

Because QBasic could not generate Win32 programs and no other Basic compilers were shipped with the OS. (Visual Basic did gain some traction, but required Visual Studio which was a huge barrier.) I would've never gotten into QBasic if it hadn't been shipped with DOS.

It's too Basic

It's still a good educational language for grade school students.

Borland Turbo debugger was better

Its honestly a better head start on logic and algebra concepts than anything I could think of for youngins

It didn't have to be QBasic. I'm just sad that they didn't include SOME form of Basic for modern computers. QB64 can port Qbasic apps to win64/Mac/Linux

>kids lost interest in programming
false, they swapped it out in schools for spreadsheets, word processing and *maybe* html.
I was there when they were forced to bring it back by way of visualbasic, but by then the damage had been done and now we have zoom calls instead of someone understanding how to setup voip software services.

I was so mad. The year before I went to high school they learned Java. When I got there they started teaching VB and by the time I left HS they went to html/javascript

Because Common Lisp is a superior programming language

Even back in the day the vast majority of kids who used computers used them for playing games and copy games off from their friends.

Shitty language that became pointless once computers became powerful enough to self-host compilers and development environments for better ones.

if you want to use Basic, use Basic bro. there are many interpreters and compilers out there.

Attached: vlcsnap-2022-01-28-21h19m25s326.png (640x480, 283.59K)

We've strayed to far away from God.

Because it's absolutely awful. Yes, it was great for pedagogical use, but that doesn't keep projects alive in an ever-shifting landscape.

Because it was shit and slow. Just use C instead. Visual Basic was okay and a good successor and final successor. It was pretty comfy. The syntax was pretty shit though. Sadly its dead other then VBA.

We didn't, Visual Basic is still used.

VB Net is overcomplicated and defeats the point of Basic.

thegamecreators.com/product/dark-basic-pro-open-source

You fucking degenerate, never heard of gorillas.bas?

This. QBasic was my first programming language and will always have a special place in my heart. But goddamn is it an ugly programming language. I remeber doing things like "GOTO 120" to jump to a line number lol.Then you would insert one line and it was all blowing up in your face. Good times but also awful times.

Delphi/Lazarus exist.

Turbo Pascal was just better.

Attached: turbo-pascal-1.png (644x404, 26.7K)