New Air M2, or Pro M1 (14")?

I need macos for work and honestly, it looks like installing it on my current laptop would be a huge pain in the ass.

I can get a MacBook Pro for the same price as a brand new Air M2 (Air would be 1TB, Pro would have 500gb but I can live with that).
Which one should I buy? Any known issues or shit I should know about?

Attached: Apple shit.jpg (1069x1002, 149.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

have your company buy you the most expensive one

Yeah they would pay for roughly half of it (I'll keep it in the end, unless I leave my studio in the next 2 years - then they wold buy my half and keep the laptop)

Thing is, they're basically the same in terms of price.
Pro has bigger screen and fans (I think?), more ports and a slightly worse chip (not like I would notice). Air has smaller screen, no fans, less ports, but it's thinner and weights less, and the M2 is newer (but I have yet to see benchmarks) . It also has 2x storage.

I don't know man

why would you even pay a single penny for work equipment?

Get the 14 inch pro. The screen is worth the upgrade

>both have notch
none lmao, the good times have passed and it's right the time to move on, apple will not be good anymore

Because I get to keep it in the end, and my laptop is already like 7 years old so I was already going to replace it at some point.
And this looks like a pretty good deal, it's more than 50% off (I'd pay something like 900$ in the end) and I don't plan to leave this job so soon anyways

Yeah it looks like shit lmao
Wasn't there a way to hide it by adding a black bar at the top? Pretty sure it would still be bigger than the screen of my current laptop

>willing to pay half the cost of his work equipment
One born every minute

?
I can always pay nothing, but I get absolutely nothing in the end.
Which means I'll have to pay more for less in a year or so. It's a chance to get a 2200$ laptop for around 900$. I can bring it home and do whatever I want with it, and in 2 years I won't even need to bring it to work anymore.

In 2 years, just have your company buy you the latest model.
>take it home and do whatever you want with it
You almost certainly can do that if your company buys the whole thing anyway.

Then I'd be stuck working here for the next 4 years (assuming I'd still want to buy the laptop for half its price and keep it afterwards). I can safely say I don't want to leave the company in the next couple of years but four? A lot can happen in such a timespan. Maybe a better offer elsewhere, who knows.

Also, you don't get to bring it home unless you "buy" it, you have to leave it there as a company asset and others will be able to use it if needed.
I wouldn't be considering the offer if my old laptop wasn't struggling, it's a dated machine and I was already planning to replace it.
This option seems optimal all things considered, which is why I'm not asking "should I", I'm asking "which one".

This poster is right op. You are paying half, but it will be used every day eight hours for two years, battery will be dead after that. In general it will be a heavily used laptop. It's not a good deal, it's barely ok. Would you buy a mid 2020 heavily used for 50% off list price?

2 year old macbooks are worth far more than 50% of their value. The resale on these is insane

Not OP but I get paid well enough that the cost of buying a new laptop literally every year is negligible relative to the enjoyment I get out of working on a machine I enjoy. Tech workers are cheap retards who will venmo request you $2 for your share of the chips and salsa, and companies are morons for having absurd policies about upgrades and overpaying for garbage. (Ive seen some supply 8gb ram macbook with 2tb ssd for $3500!)

you spend literally thousands of hours working with it, you have to be an absolute brainlet to cheap out on your laptop to save $1000 and spend even an extra 10 minutes a day from inefficient/slower hardware. White collar workers get to just leave when they finish their shit faster, they are literally losing money and time to shake their fist at an employer over like $1000.

The idea that an employer has to pay for everything is just silly, they do it because they want to control the data on the machine and spoon the manchildren that work there and the illiterate. Just imagine being a garbage man but you're paid $250k a year and you fuck up your feet because you wont pay for your own pair of quality boots

No, but I like working with a PC that only I can have access to, plus I also like working from home from time to time and bringing my projects with me. I already do this with my machine (even as I mostly rely on company PCs when I'm there) yet it's getting increasingly harder.
...Because my laptop is old and it doesn't have macos, which would streamline several aspect of my tasks even from home (as it's the standard in the studio), which is also the only reason I ever bother using the company PC in the first place.

The best scenario would be privately buying a macbook by myself without it being tied to the company, but why would I considering I can get a cheaper one and use it in the same exact capacity anyways?

M1 Pro is still better than M2 in every way

>I need macos for work
quit

i swear to god, Any Forums has gone fucking soft over the past few years. what kind of faggots are we letting top the board these days?

>Tech workers are cheap retards who will venmo request you $2 for your share of the chips and salsa, and companies are morons for having absurd policies about upgrades and overpaying for garbage.

Infinite this. The new Macbooks are fucking awful machines and you shouldn't buy one. Make your employer pay for it.

My entire field is largely dominated by this OS. There's nowhere to run, I had to learn how to use it.

>The new Macbooks are fucking awful machines
Why?
Lack of ports? Or do they have dealbreaking issues?
They look generally better machines than the stuff they shitted out 5 years ago or something

>pajeet book """""""""""build quality"""""""""""""
>2009-2010
>defective "fake" unibody design causes screen bezel to crack and fall apart by itself after 2 years of normal open/close
>2011
>screen held on to chassis with glue and melts and falls off because the heat exhaust blows 100°C hot air onto it
>2012
>GPU kills itself because of defective soldering and overheating
>2013
>magically no major show stopping defects
>still tons of small defects and proprietary SSDs from this point on
>still an overheating turd like all apple throttlebooks
>2014-2015
>massive CPU/GPU overheating and component failure
>2016-2020
>massive overheating and throttling issues
>soldered components make upgrading and data recovery impossible
>screens so fragile that a sticker over the webcam cracks the screen when closed and this is such a huge defect that apple warns against doing this on their official support pages
>screens cant be opened past 90 degrees or the FPC cables get bent too hard and crack because they're cheap shit
>keyboard guaranteed to fail in less than 2 months unless you live in the vacuum of space
>2021+
>keyboards are still failing albeit at lower rate
>pajeetOS rapes the onboard soldered SSD like a cheap viet ladyboy 24/7 even with 16GB RAM
>8GB RAM pajeet book lifespan for SSDs even more grim
>screens are cheap shit glass that crack from simple temperature change in seasons
>miniLED screens are utter shit and have massive bloom design defect that make fucking everything glow like CIA niggers

iNiggers have stockholm syndrome. There's no other explanation why they would continuously defend the steaming curry nigger pajeet shit apploo street shitters shart down their throats.
youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

Attached: 1641981189763.png (800x1113, 27.14K)

if you work in appdev then my advice is still for you to quit

the hardware is fine, but if you want a Unix dev laptop then they should be the last thing you pick. Apple's BSD compatibility layer is hanging on by a thread these days, having spent my last job debugging esoteric Darwin bugs I no longer feel comfortable calling MacOS a clean system. it's pozzed and toddlerized, there's no reason to use it unless you work for a basedboy company.

Are you currynigger or another user? I can't keep track of schizoposters

curry got banned, i think people just enjoy fucking with the toddlers on this board who identify with multi-billion dollar coporations.

i cant blame them either, that shit is funny as fuck. watching people sperg out in /FAG/ is top-tier comedy.

see crapple currynigger shit is the biggest scam of the 21st century right next to iphones