If you had to recommend five books to bring someone to an acceptable level of computer literacy...

If you had to recommend five books to bring someone to an acceptable level of computer literacy, not programming languages but just knowing their machine inside and out, which would you recommend?

Attached: 51DHJGJ9XCL._SX378_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (380x475, 31.99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

csc-knu.github.io/sys-prog/books/Andrew S. Tanenbaum - Structured Computer Organization.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

for who? for a boomer or a younglink?

both, I'm interested to see how your recs would change

bump for interest

Bump

Buy an old comp from goodwill.
Take it apart
Take the pieces your dad and have him explain what they all do

If you want to know about operating systems, search up an operating systems college textbook. If you want to know about networks, search up a Computer Networking college textbook. If you want to know about hardware, search up a computer architecture college textbook. Maybe you can find something that's worthwhile that's not a textbook but they'd probably be specific manuals rather than just "computer literacy"

That's not a book. Are you retarded? Can you not read or understand simple instructions?

also, for bonus points, try to make metaphors for each part to a car
e.g.
>this is the processor, it's the engine.
>this is the motherboard, it's the transmission and has all the fancy-shmancy internal components that link up to the other bits
>this is the ram, it's like the wheels

same

i wouldn't recommend anything because I've never had to read books to get to a decent level of computer literacy lol, I've just played around with computers until I've reached that

This ones all right
csc-knu.github.io/sys-prog/books/Andrew S. Tanenbaum - Structured Computer Organization.pdf

computer's are depreciated, don't waste your time

No user, you won't find life answers on your shitty books you nerd, go outside and build some motherfucking computers.

based oldschool chads.

Attached: dcc888914acccdc3906654d558f1b409.jpg (700x600, 250K)

how retarded do you have to be to not answer a very specific question and then pretend you're answering the question or contributing anything at all? Just don't reply.

it's over user.

Attached: its-finally-over-gif-3.gif (245x245, 784.22K)

You look it up to see if someone else has done it before you, 99% of the time it has been done before, you follow the instructions, and then you try again or look up more instructions or ask for help if it didn't work.

You can read as many books on these practical skills as you like, but unless you're taking a written test, you're not going to get anything out of it. Look for what you want, study that instead.

If there's a book on it, sure, read it, but don't go reading random books for no reason, OP. You only do that for fun, not to learn.

OK so you can't answer the question, got it, thanks, next time don't reply

made me kek

I had this book (or some edition of it) as a kid. Read it until the binding fell apart. Not terribly in-depth on anything but it does a good job of giving you an overview. Included everything from transistor physics to TCP/UDP, how a CD works, basic 3D graphics pipelines, history of a mouse, etc. The illustrations were awesome too.

Attached: 51zwcVg1SML._AC_SY1000_.jpg (400x500, 38.9K)

Read SICP's first chapter so you understand why we don't care about computers here.