/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1616892942623.jpg (1200x1200, 179.21K)

First for please don't use Manjaro. Just use Endeavour instead.

I'm using Arch with KDE. Some Unicode characters do not show up correctly. Notably, some Chinese characters and the entire Korean language are replaced with Unicode rectangles. Most other things, even obscure writing systems like Georgian and Mongolian, are completely unaffected.
Possibly related - during installation, I set LANG in /etc/locale.conf to `en-US.UTF-8` instead of `en_US.UTF-8`. This naturally caused some issues but has since been corrected.

Attached: file.png (834x142, 57.3K)

Do you have noto-fonts and noto-fonts-cjk installed? That should fix the rectangles right up.
Also should probably install noto-fonts-emoji so emoji characters show up properly too.

What's the difference between AMDGPU and AMDGPU PRO?
I know the pro version includes proprietary components but other than that no clue.
I just bought an rx6600 and don't know which one i should choose.

Yes that fixed it immediately, thank you. Pleasantly surprised by how much I overthought it.

AMDGPU PRO is a proprietary version of AMDGPU.
It's best just to use the AMDGPU open source driver, plus mesa for OpenGL and vulkan-radeon for Vulkan.

>don't use this shitty derived distro use this shitty derived distro instead
ok retard

So uninformed.

The noto-fonts packages basically get you all set up for any kind of non-English script you might run in to. Very useful.

How do I setup Debian to unlock my LUKS encrypted home partition with Plymouth? I have crypttab and fstab set up but I have no idea what to do to make plymouth let me unlock it
I just installed the nonfree KDE debian iso for reference

Can we have someone who doesn't eat toe cheese and has a sexual preference for 18+ year old women as our representative? I'm sick of women giving me funny looks when I say I use linux.

AMDGPU-PRO is also not in any package manager (may be some exceptions), it only officially supports RHEL and Ubuntu 16.04(!?). AMDGPU is reported to outperform PRO in some cases.

You need to make sure that your initramfs includes cryptsetup and runs it at boot. Installing the cryptsetup-initramfs package and then running update-initramfs -k all -u should theoretically take care of this, but no guarantees.

Scratch that, I thought you were asking about an encrypted / partition. If it's just /home then maybe you could unlock it at login, but I don't know how.

is it possible to use dd to write to CD-ROM?

Probably not gonna work, use wodim instead.

Nevermind, I'm a retard. I accidentally typed some garbage in crypttab making it fail

Reminder that fedora workstation by default has ports 1025-65535 open

I decided to move the folder from the removable media into my pc and then pcmanfm let me change the name of the folder. Maybe it had something to do with the removable media formated ntfs?
Anyway an annon suggested to try mv. I thought about using mv or rename on the terminal but I just didnt think it was worth to try because I needed to change the "Name Of Folder" to something like "Name_Of_Folder" otherwise the terminal doesnt let me do anything it goes all like:
"Name" directory doesnt exist
"Of" directory doesnt exist
"Folder" directory doesnt exist.
And it was just going yo be the same issue with mv and rename. I will just get used to not naming things with spaces from now on.

Is there a good alternative to the KDE panel that isn't Latte Dock? I'm sick and tired of this piece of shit having a glitchy, flickering panic attack every time I move my mouse cursor over it, but I've heard Latte is even more buggy and unstable.

can sum1 shoop op pic so ricks head's proportionate 2his body thnx

Did you pass the folder name as a single string or 3 separate strings? Sounds like the latter.

Looked up the command to make sure how it works; it ain't working for it, though. Specifically, there are two files that refuse to be deleted, telling me "Read-only file system" - at least, most of the time, sometimes it INSTEAD says "Structure needs cleaning" when I run the command. So definitely corrupted somehow. I can't even use the 'cd' command anymore to enter the directory of the files (it gives me 'cd: too many arguments') and I have to use sudo rm -rf [folder] from the directory right before it.

The heck do I do now, guys...?

Eh, it's the card for my Steam Deck; ext4 is just what it uses, unfortunately.
The card is brand new, I just got it a week ago and this's the first time an issue of this sort has cropped up. I just think it's an issue with the game I was installing, they can have screwy permissions on Windows too sometimes. Either that or the files got corrupted when my computer went to sleep, since I was altering them by installing a mod and it was taking a while, at which point my laptop went to sleep automatically during the process.

>Read-only file system
You could force it to be mounted read-write if you want, but it may indeed be corrupted.
>I can't even use the 'cd' command anymore to enter the directory of the files (it gives me 'cd: too many arguments')
You may be using the command incorrectly. Can you paste the whole command you typed?

>You could force it to be mounted read-write
Any tips on how I could do that? Though I'm certain it's corrupted by now.
As for the cd command, actually yeah I was, my bad; the folder was several words and I forgot to use ' marks around the folder's name. I'm dumb, I know, I'm just exhausted.
In any case, entering the directory of the corrupted files and using 'ls -al' shows me that 'ls' cannot access either of the files, "structure needs cleaning". Obviously it just displays their read-write permissions as a series of question marks since it can't access them to begin with.