What's the difference between a cody monkey and a software engineer?

What's the difference between a cody monkey and a software engineer?

I know this has been asked over a million times but I'm pretty sure the guys browsing/g/ today aren't the same guys who frequented this board a year ago.

Attached: C8097F12-6FEB-49A3-BCE7-F1B300EC788C.jpg (800x800, 148.24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qYodWEKCuGg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Code monkey =rakesh
Software engineer = Steven, Yun Lao, Pedro, Ahmed, stephan, David

Code monkey does what it was told.
Software engineer thinks how it has to be done.

The top monkey writes pseudocode
The following monkey turns it into a gameplan
The bottom monkeys turn it into code
I think. I mean it must be that way. No way that google can be productive with just one screen.

codemonkey uses copilot

Ahhh okay. So most, if not all, junior devs or graduates are cody monkeys, but through years of experience can mold them into a software engineer?

I see, so following this line of thought, only the software architech is considered to be a genuine software engineer, and the rest involved in the implementation process are monkeys?

The difference is mostly the attitude.

The software engineer tries to understand the problem for the sake of learning.
The code monkey tries to resolve the problem without caring to understand it.

"But it works, right?"

This should explain it
youtu.be/qYodWEKCuGg

Code monkey = usually self-taught or bootcamped script kiddie or webjeet who doesn't understand basic computer science but can use a high level language to pound out some chickenscratch blackbox spaghetti code to hack his way to the solution to the simplest programming challenges.

Software engineer = usually university trained CS grad with a firmer understanding of computing principles who can write software in a lower level language and solve more problems because he better understands how to approach them using computational logic.

I never knew this song was licensed under creative commons

>code monkey
Someone who does their job.
>software engineer
A know it all.

Anyone who goes to college for comp sci in the year of our lord 2022 is a fucking moron. If you can’t learn shit yourself, you’re only be a pseudo-intellectual code monkey ;)

ego

i think we all know that to succeed in this field you need to be able to learn on your own... we just also know that without proper motivation (being stuck in a classroom) you guys won't learn the fundamentals :^)

and that's why i have filtered every single "boot camp" candidate regardless of how the interview went.

>code monkey
didn't major in Mathematics
>software engineer
pity title given to code monkeys so they'd feel important despite not being actual engineers

i love this take since i got my undergrad in mechanical engineering then got my master's in CS.

the 'equivalent' upper-level class for algorithms would be continuum mechanics and i can confidently say that continuum mechanics was a fucking breeze by comparison.

not that anyone on this board- you included- would pass either class with a grade making you fit for employment.

So you are triggered by the idea of people that didn't waste time and money like you did to get to your position? Sounds like buyers remorse and a fragile ego, no refunds.

>"But it works, right?"

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1280x720, 54.25K)

don't take it so personally, user. i'm just looking out for the interests of the organization as a whole. we need to be sure that every seat is filled with someone who has a broad education in the discipline.

if it makes you feel any better, i also won't take anyone with < 3.8 GPA for an entry level role. for senior roles idgaf of course, they've proved their worth.

I'm not taking it personally at all user, I finished college this year without spending a dime, I just don't look down on people that didn't.

Nah it's obvious pretty early who's got a brain and who's just a keyboard masher. Experience can't make you smarter.

in about ten years and a thousand interviews your perspective may change :^)