Will Wayland ever truly replace X?

Will Wayland ever truly replace X?

Attached: wayland_penatech.png (2000x2000, 112.35K)

Yes. I plan on switching back to Windows when that happens.

bump

Not in all use cases, but it will for most people unless someone makes something better

Wayland will always have higher latency.

No. It just fractured the linux desktop again.

I hope. Wayland is super nice imo, but I still have to compile X into stuff because it isn't deprecated yet. So hopefully I can someday have Wayland only, and not have to compile a bunch of X stuff.
t. Gentoo Wayland+Pipewire GNOME chad

Valve will make x2.

>gentoo
>wayland
>pipewire
>gnome
honestly at that point you are based

umm sweetie, wayland is a protocol. what implementation of wayland are you talking about ? please educate yourself before posting ;)

So I went willy nilly to update my distro, and look at that, a wayland update, which is funny because I don't use wayland but apparently it's now a dependency for a bunch of things like libs, drivers and even fucking mpv? When did that happen?

The programs link to wayland even if you're not using it
This is what gentoo is for

Can you add "-X" to your global USE flags? My system is Wayland-free with "-wayland"
t. Gentoo Xorg+ALSA XFCE chad

It's because they're compiled with wayland support as well. I would have expected this to be the case on every binary distro already for years actually.

It does for me but I can see why it wouldn't for many people and I respect people who had issues with it

If you're using a binary distro packages will make you install crap even if you aren't using it: Wayland, PulseAudio etc. This is nothing new.
>install gentoo

>This is what gentoo is for
>install gentoo
Maybe I fucking should. Or funtoo? It has a funnier name.

X is required by a lot of shit, and I can't be bothered to set a lot of individual flags.

Havn't tried Funtoo, but memes aside, Gentoo is brilliant. My system is so much less bloated, and I genuinly can feel a difference in performance, due to having compiled specifically for my system. This also makes binaries smaller, which is nice.
In general, it is just nice to have a tailored system, which is free of the stuff you dont need or want. If you like tinkering and doing stuff with your OS, Gentoo is 100% worth it.

>latency
DRM/KMS works fine

No, that's why they made XWayland
Why? Windows also doesn't have Xorg
Wrong
>Xorg
>Chad
No

Gentoo is very comfy, USE flags give you lots of control and portage has lots of features such as package.mask so I can keep out shit I don't want: systemd, wayland, etc.
Compile times are not bad, at worst for me is compiling Firefox, which takes just under an hour on a sandy bridge i7. Updates are painless and usually don't take much time at all.
It does run slightly faster as a source based distro, although some optimizations may not be worth enabling depending on what you want: for example PGO (profile-guided optimization) will double compile time in packages that use it like Firefox for a slight performance increase

>Why? Windows also doesn't have Xorg
I don't *like* Xorg, retard, it's just a necessary evil because it actually works.

sweet, daily wayland schizo thread