/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Free beginner resources to get started with HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP
eloquentjavascript.net/Eloquent_JavaScript.pdf - A modern introduction to JavaScript
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - A good starting point to learn about web dev fundamentals
javascript.info/ - Quite a good JS tutorial
freecodecamp.org - Curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
theodinproject.com - Curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, and either Ruby on Rails / SQL, or Node.js / MongoDB
fullstackopen.com/en/ - Requires you to have basic web dev, db and git knowledge
flexboxfroggy.com/ and cssgridgarden.com/ - Learn flex/grid in CSS
phptherightway.com/ - A decent PHP resource
phptutorial.net - A PHP tutorial

>List of design resources
github.com/bradtraversy/design-resources-for-developers

>All useful documentation in one place
devdocs.io

>Need help? Create an example and post the link
jsfiddle.net - if you need help with HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org - if you need help with PHP/HackLang
codesandbox.io - if you need help with React/Angular/Vue

We have our own website: wdg.one
Submit your project progress updates using this format in your posts, the scraper will pick it up:
:: my-project-title ::
dev:: user
tools:: node, react, etc
link:: my.website.com
repo:: github.com/user/repo
progress:: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Previous:

Attached: code.jpg (960x539, 168.88K)

So is there anything different between Any Forums’s code and Futaba’s at this point?

is Svelte a good lib for a relatively small page? about 3 to 5 components

true. maybe i'm just being a bit lazy

can I get a quick rundown on Node ORM libraries?

how do you know if a company does that before being actually hired and seeing it for yourself? Besides asking around of course

Do Wordpress guys seriously just download a theme, change some images and text and sell websites to their clients like that? I've been looking into this and it makes me suspicious, there has to be something more to it

Yeah, sure.
*ahem*
ORMs are for fags.

zigchads we WON

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 9.16.32 AM.png (631x370, 45.64K)

Is node complex?
I don't get it. It is just Chrome JS engine with some file utilities and some other stuff few people use.
JS is pretty complex from being so old and all the backwards compatibility, but that's not a Node specific issue.

why?

It depends. If you want a custom website theyre going to have to pay for a premium theme like divi or if they want to customize anything theyre going to have to use css.
Its rare for people to mess with the php though.
But yeah for the most part its straightforward.
I just used a theme for my dads news site and he likes it and everyone congragulated me so why would i opt for something else?
I also update it every two weeks and have it bulk sent with an rss email template with mailersend.
By rss template i mean it sutomatically fetches the latest 8 posts from the site and puts it in the template btw. Yeah its a nice little set up.

Yeah, a lot of people do this but they're usually freelance and the people who buy these things usually know next to nothing about web development, they just see something that looks pretty and assume it must have been built from scratch.

yes. they are good at sales and networking. the guys running the agencies are boomers themselves and know how to talk to them, this is how boomers do deals still. they dont care about efficiency or technolgy they just want some boomer they can call up and be like "my websites down, oh, no nvm it was my internet, sorry richard have a great day man we should go golfing sometime again"

so yeah they get ripped off hard but its all a pittance in the long run because their business has a lot of cash flow.

probably the best way to break into this yourself is to specialize in one niche and have a bunch of case studies about why you are an expert on "gym websites" and how your experience results in "10x more gym clients", actually be able to do this though and you'll be able to clean up as you build a reputation.

so what are the rules about semicolons in js? where are they not necessary?

>where are they not necessary?
anywhere outside loop declarations now or multiple inline statements/minified code, but you ought to still use them to keep linters happy and code readable.

>so what are the rules about semicolons in js? where are they not necessary?
Always use it to avoid bugs that can happen when you think it would not matter but actually do matter and does something you don't want.

i know it's good practice to use them anywhere, i'm just asking if anyone knows how this shit works or is it just random whims of interpreter like the rest of that sorry joke of a language

quick /wdg/ serverside or clientside rendering and why ?

GO

>manifest v3 just broke my extension because no persistent backgrounds

wtf should I do? I'm really invested in chrome

staticside rendering

You have to as the silicon valley overloads about that, so make a Google search. The edge cases are not common, so I don't remember them in my head. Also since I always use semicolons, I don't have to think about it or consider it at all.

my understanding is that its a delimiter for anything that can be parsed as a statement, though in practice ive mostly seen it used for statements that exists in a scope with at least one other statement. so something like
// semicolons are appropriate here because there are two statements in the same scope
const sadExample = 'i am talking out my ass';
const anotherSadExample = 'and it shows';

function returnArgString(arg) {
// multiples statements in same scope
const ret = '123' + String(arg);
return arg;
// this one is arguably "correct" because this function is in the same scope as two declarations
};

is where you would want to use semicolons regularly as it follows earlier ecmascript standards. iirc following ecmascript 6, indentation can also be used without issue, though im not sure about whether or not it has any performance impact at runtime - if there is one, id imagine its minimal. youll see them often in minified code since the minifier will remove most non-string whitespace, and the semicolon delimiter is required again.

at this point i doubt even Brendan Eich knows specifically where are semicolons required and where are they optional
we are approaching 40k-like dark ages point where actual knowledge is lost and we only repeat the same rituals just to be safe and to please the machine spirits

does anyone else wake up at night with a cold sweat remembering that ecmascript was initially going to be scheme or scheme-like if not for netscape wanting to emulate java for marketing reasons