Should i get a dedicated external HDD or just put an internal one inside an enclosure...

should i get a dedicated external HDD or just put an internal one inside an enclosure? also is there any difference in reliability between 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDDs?

Attached: 116045.png (512x512, 240.79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/sh1beo/25_shucking_fail/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Recommend internal since your 6GB/s speed won't be throttled by a USB 2.0 speeds.

Put one in your 3.5 drive bay retard.

/thread

I started storing all my data when I was a kid in some HDD. It felt and data was gone. Never again.

Internal+dock vs external; 2.5 vs 3.5. The main differences between them these days are price, size and convenience. Get what's cheaper and/or fits your needs better.

I think the best situation is a system
>primary nvme
>storage hd / backup for nvme

>nas hd backs up storage drive
>backup off nas drive is in cold storage at moms (separate) house, which you transport back and forth every so often

>dedicated external HDD or just put an internal one inside an enclosure?
these are exactly the same thing
>difference in reliability between 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDDs?
2.5" disks are smaller and thinner, generally i would consider them to have a shorter lifespan but youre going to buy a new one before it dies anyway, and you shoukd always have one more backup than yiu think you need because as always, two is one, one is none.

if you arent a schizo youd also be better off getting an SSD unless this is for a dedicated backup system. portable hardware should have as few moving parts as possible to reduce the chancea of breakages. stationary hardware (eg an offline backup) should go for stability, reliability and security, all of which a HDD provides more of than an SSD. so it depends on your intended usecase.

It felt what?

Honestly, just get a synology box. Best turnkey solution you can get.

internal in enclosure. Trust me, you don't want external hdd with proprietary adapter

>proprietary adapter
What kind of enclosures are you finding? Most come with USB-C or Type A.

excuse me, sir, but isnt this is what this connector was meant for?

Attached: 1636057351032.jpg (1024x683, 63.52K)

>should i get a dedicated external HDD or just put an internal one inside an enclosure?
Both, if you care about the data you need to store it on at least 2 devices and have them in separate places
>also is there any difference in reliability between 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDDs?
Dont know. Remember to encrypt them before you store anything.

Bruh, I said EXTERNAL HDD. the ones already in their own enclosure. Not all external hdd use the standard Sata-to-USB adapter

My statement still stands, I have yet to see an external HDD with a proprietary connector. USB-A, USB-C, or eSATA.

For example
reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/sh1beo/25_shucking_fail/

>reddit
no thanks

That's why you buy and empty enclosure and put your own HDD in it.

You can google for other examples or just stay clueless I guess.

That's what I meant by "Internal in enclosure"