The Future Of Minor DEs

So will Mate, Cinnamon and XFCE just die in the future? I hope not, it's the only usable DEs in this dogshit system, I can't code on KDE or GNOME... but they lack development power so I worry the push for wayland just kill interest.

Attached: file.png (2073x1236, 286.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I can't code on KDE or GNOME... but they lack development power
what the fuck

I swear Any Forums makes up the weirdest LARP known to men

I hope so, those DEs are all unusable garbage. They never contributed a single line of code to X11 in the first place, did you think they ever had a real long term plan?

Cinnamon won't die as long as Mint is a thing.

the powers that be are polluting the desktop environment with single use plastics, and only a sprinkle of cinnamon on my oatmeal every morning is enough to keep me going

wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap

what the fuck does your DE have to do with whether or not you can write code?

>I can't code on KDE
Why not?
GNOME I can understand but KDE just werks for me.
>inb4 bruce Webms
If these bugs aren't fixed yet why don't you report them?
Of course a DE with more features has a higher bug potential compared to GNOME.

>he wants to use X11
Are you an Arch clown?

>GNOME I can understand
??
Greg KH uses GNOME, what does OP do that Greg KH can't?

Greg KH could also use an android tablet to do his work.

KDE is too buggy for actual use. I don't think anybody who uses KDE actually does any programming. KDE bugs get in your way.

KDE is the only DE that will randomly freeze its panel and crash (given enough mouse click in the frozen state). I didn't even bother reporting.

GNOME deprecates features constantly so you always need to hunt after features that you need with unstable extensions.
It's the same shit as KDE.

Last time I used GNOME it would SEGFAULT if you logged out of your user account and then logged back in, not to add that the software app would also crash while searching.
Never had this happen with KDE despite all the bruce type shills saying it "krashes".

>It's the same shit as KDE.
They're polar opposites in the worst kind of way. KDE adds way too many features, most of which don't get enough polish and contribute to a buggy/unstable desktop. GNOME, on the other hand, removes too many features, leading to users patching them back in with janky extensions that break every major update. At least the minor DEs don't rock the boat much and stay pretty stable, that's the best thing they've got going for them.

I honestly do not know how the fuck people get filtered by either KDE or GNOME. Jesus Christ, what shitboxes are you trying to run them on?

I never used any extensions. GNOME has been the most polished and stable desktop experience I've ever had with Linux in the past 4 years.

>janky extensions that break every major update
Doesn't happen. Anything that stops working can be made to work again just by editing metadata.json and upping the version number. It really is as simple as that.

Any Forums is a LXQt board, go back to r*ddit.

Attached: file.png (1200x720, 244.19K)

Actually, Any Forums is a Windows board.

>I can't code on KDE or GNOME

Attached: gigaretard.jpg (622x605, 35.5K)

Wrong

Attached: Jay.png (1274x514, 162.4K)

Take the dwm pill and you won't have to worry about shit like this.

I tried using GNOME not too long ago, and dash-to-dock was completely broken. There's also like 10 different extensions for system tray icons, which I presume is because the older ones keep getting busted and the developers can't be fucked to fix them.

>GNOME has been the most polished and stable desktop experience I've ever had with Linux in the past 4 years.
i actually fell for the "GNOME is the most polished DE" meme, including its much vaunted "UI consistency", and in GNOME 42 half the applications are libadwaita and the other half are the old GTK theme. some fucking "polish", that shit's worse than windows

>Take the dwm pill
still uses Xorg which is deprecated.

I'm using GNOME now, latest version, and DtD works perfectly. There are multiple different extensions for the same thing because tards like to make their own rather than focusing on one, which is a problem throughout FOSS.
Personally, I just use the Unite extension to make it more like Unity, which includes the ability to add the system tray back.

You're welcome to put the time in to help them update everything to libadwaita, user.

Their only option is joining efforts. At least Mate and XFCE. Prefer that the man power goes to XFCE honestly, bitch about the CSD all you want but Mate has way worse bugs.

Just don't care about DEs or about Programming languages the only important things in life are money and power.
And you should do everything you can to gain more of both.