What is Any Forums's opinion on jsonwebtoken? Do you find it secure?

What is Any Forums's opinion on jsonwebtoken? Do you find it secure?

Attached: jwt.png (1200x600, 62.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use it and put my trust in it but I know nothing

it's literally made by auth0

They're perfectly fine if they fit your use case. I find myself reaching for paseto tokens more often though.

>is encrypted text secure?

In browser applications with distributed backend architectures, JWTs are okay for very narrow uses. People use them for more than they should. For native mobile clients they are more necessary, but have fewer security gotchas.

Do you think base64 is encryption? JWTs are signed and encoded, not encrypted.

it's about the expiry and refresh times. make sure they're configured correct and all's good.

>commonjs module

wait, you unironically prefer JWS to JWE? lol

>you unironically prefer JWS to JWE?
I don't "prefer" them, but they're almost always what people are referring to when they talk about JWTs

So OP is asking
>is signed text secure?
did i get that right?

"alg": "none"

Security is for pussy.

Yes

>signed text
explain

JWTs are base64-encoded JSON objects with a cryptographic signature appended.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature

JWT is overkill for most use cases where a simple session token would have been more than adequate. The single benefit they offer is usually offset by the downsides.

>JSON
No. Why they don't use binary? Binary web token

What are the downsides?

Why would it matter? They're tiny.

The biggest problem is that once you've issued a JWT there's no way to revoke it, it remains valid until expiration. If somebody manages to obtain a JWT through malicious means, there's no way to prevent them from using it whereas with a simpler session token you can just revoke it once discovered. If you wanted to you could have your systems check JWTs against a revocation list, but that would defeat the whole purpose of using a JWT in the first place.

this is true but you can also put an ID claim in a JWT and revoke based on that

I have been a developer for years and I still don't understand auth

The point of a JWT is to allow the data within to be trusted without having to check with a central authority. If any part of the data within needs to be verified than what's the point of using the JWT? Just use a session token.