Roleplay Driven Development

Has anyone here tried roleplay driven development? By that I mean, you pretend you are a programmer in some other time/location, for instance a unix dev in the 70s. You use a pdp 11 emulator and run unix system v in it, and try to write a small program. Does that sound fun to you guys?

Attached: assuming_the_role.jpg (1800x1248, 278.25K)

in the industry we call this an "autistic hobby"

/thread

No. I usually try to develop for the system and architecture I actually use. This incentivises an integrated structure and lower level programming.
It might be fun but it's certainly not very productive.

Just pretend to be a girl and don't make it more complex. We all know that your developer persona wants to be called Amanda after 11pm.

sounds fun, do you have any other roleplay ideas?

Yeah, I do .NET development on an Amiga.

Attached: amigaseesharp.png (1330x661, 941.17K)

Kek

>pic
god I wish that was me
soo comfy

>sitting on your ass all day looking at terminal and text editors
>fun

No wonder people here mix programmers and trannies all the time, they must have same suicide rate.

Sure, I also want to make a play by post roleplaying game. Player would send their moves by snail mail, I would enter them in the computer simulation which would then generate results in reports for each player.

So when an artist starts out with a blank piece of white paper you think they want to kill themselves?

i do after seeing what i have drawn with my garbage skills

Some ideas if you want this feel:

1) Develop an actual NES game
2) Play Shenzhen I/O
3) Buy a retro computer like the Colour Maximite 2 and write some software for it.

thats what programming socks are for

this is honestly how i live my life
i play games exactly how i think they would've been played on release, i try to manufacture the mental state necessary and the mindset a viewer would've have
i rearrange my room with tech and furniture and sometimes clothes based on what i'm doing, have TVs that correspond to different mental groupings

yes i probably have some sort of mental illness because no one understands why go through the effort, but it just feels artistic more than anything

that looks like the guy in her

That's actually really cool.

Yeah all the time
I just pretend I don't know how to develop and do jack shit

Cool way to give purpose or novelty to otherwise boring beginner projects and maybe add some challenge (more likely frustration) to more advanced ones. LARPing is also something of a necessity if you're into certain classes of high-end/exotic/embedded gear.
I'd honestly do this kind of autistic shit if I had more storage space for the incidentals. My nicest systems are all restored and date matched both hardware and software and when I work on them I'll set them up in a cuck corner with matching peripherals/decorations/etc for the fuck of it. Maximizes the 'wildly expensive shit you'd never dream of owning when it was new' effect.

writing a program for a pdp 11 emulator sounds like fun without the larp aspect.

I considered making a game for Amiga at one point, but then realized how retarded that was.

Would writing homebrew software for a particular game console fulfill this kind of comfy feeling, in your opinion?

it hurts to see digits like this

I did this on my NDS but had to stop because not having a proper serial and the 5+ seconds it takes to boot the DS then select the rom were a royal pain in the ass.
Also, developing shit on an emulator is NOT fun and error prone.
I'll probably give another shot next year if I can get an older model and hack some manner of physical keyboard into it.

Attached: 00-2021-10-25_11.28.12.webm (892x662, 2.05M)

What's wrong with doing it over emulator?
You find issues that don't exist on actual hardware or is it just the ardous task of testing builds despite you already having the most ideal dev environment possible?