/twg/ - Tech Workers General

(Formerly /tjg/ - Tech Jobs General)

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

Making fun of NEETs is highly encouraged.

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
acilearning.com/blog/7-tips-for-getting-into-it-with-zero-experience
firsthand.co/blogs/innovate-with-influence-global-high-tech/how-to-get-a-tech-job-with-no-experience
indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/easiest-tech-jobs-to-get-into
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions
neetcode.io/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Salary Stuff
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

Prev:

Attached: 1656546935877.jpg (618x412, 21.56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

careercup.com/resume
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: technology-jobs-pay-min.png (960x540, 187.69K)

>about to shut down laptop
>teams call from management

Attached: 3dfa53fec8cd648be8b8f86dcc6ebf66-2459653102.jpg (1000x866, 85.66K)

hello sirs
just redeemed job contract for java training 2 months
how many bobs/vagene for java
thank u sirs

I work in cyber security, bunch of back end linux/unix stuff. As the economy crashes, how safe or fucked in cyber security in general?

security is a cost center
prepare for layoffs

help me job hop lads

Formerly Chuck's

>while that is true, presentation of said skills and making it easily parseable is also quite valuable
Is there a website to check how readable a CV is by machimes?

>Use Canva.com instead, jesus you want to stand out of the crowd
t. retard filtered by simple LaTeX
pic related is from that freak show of a site

Attached: canva.jpg (1131x1600, 312.03K)

>interested in machine learning
>also interested in not spending time getting a phd and just making big bucks

just neck yourself and end your suffering.

if they don't respond you're not hired.

>first job
>been working 2 months
>officially a backend position
>get there
>turns out I have to do a bunch of frontend shit too
>okay its fine, Im familiar with react
>turns out theres also a companion mobile app
>now im a mobile dev as well
>pm is salty because im missing deadlines

what the fuck
if you wanted a fullstack + mobile dev and if youre in a rush, why hire a junior with 0 experience?

>tfw got several raises in the last 8 months despite working from home for the last 2 years and doing the least amount of work in my career

Attached: 1650007345341s.jpg (125x119, 1.72K)

Do you guys think tech is doomed in the upcoming recession? Think it'll be anything like the dot com bubble?

One of my friends dad was working at IBM during the dot com bubble. I have distinct memories of him yelling into the phone things like "the days of 400k salaries are over!" We would always be trying to play Vidya and he would always be on his phone yelling. That's what wfh does to you.

careercup.com/resume
This is what a good resumee looks like

Welcome to Agile.

thats what my resume looks like just from me thinking about what makes a good resume without looking at some gay guide (with the addition of a bunch of tiny, invisible skills listed in each section to trick pajeet written resume parsers into promoting my resume to hr roasties who don't know better)

Same, backend engineer who had to learn React on the fly to help with frontend here. React is comfier once you get used to it but I find it dishonest to hire someone for a postion and made them do something else afterwards.

it's the perfect dev resume

Attached: resume_careercup_markedup.gif (609x783, 60.81K)

Uber has never turned a profit and was worth $100 billion, still worth $40 billion. Tons of other companies are almost as bad. There will be a massive reckoning, probably pretty soon, but tech won't be "doomed".

still, I want some feedback

How much should I give a fuck honestly?

I'm 4 or 5 months in my first dev job and there's been absolutely nothing to do for the past 2 months already. No one is bugging me, no one is saying anything and I keep silent while pretending to do refactoring and janny stuff. I have a lot of other stuff to do besides my job and I appreciate the off time to learn other things tech and non-tech related.

My original plan was to just get my foot in the door and get a decent amount of experience to job hop into something better later (My pay right now isn't stellar, understandably).

So, how much should I care honestly? do I start being a proactive sóyman and ask for more work? what else should I do? Most days I really don't care but sometimes I fell lowkey guilty and stagnating.

Attached: just.jpg (2457x1296, 645.86K)

Like any downturn, the top % will get richer while the middle class gets reamed

it will be worse than dot com bubble because tech sector is much bigger now, but it's still 90% vaporware money losing trash

PETS
DOT
COM

I guess my question is how much harder will it get for the average tech worker? I know an engineer who specializes in "machine learning" but doesn't know what PCA is. I suppose at least that guy is doomed.

Uber had a frightening amount of years to prove itself, if it fails it is deserved

I guess I wouldnt be so mad if I wasnt under constant pressure to do time sensitive tasks in shit I started learning last week
not to mention they use some in house tools which you can only learn about if you ask the seniors like I went back in time to the era of village shamans lmfao
react isnt so bad, Im getting slowly used to it and its very capable in all honesty