Is databasing a meme skill?

Learning sql, mysql right now. Is there any practical use of this skill outside of corporate drudgery? Seems like it's pretty useless unless you were trying to start your own online business from scratch, but you ought to be able to pay some third-worlder to build a database for you.

Attached: 1656564015302.jpg (1024x788, 97.72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

observablehq.com/@pallada-92/sql-3d-engine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>but you ought to be able to pay some third-worlder to build a database for you.
That's exactly why it's useful. Deprive them of making money from useless skills.

who gives a shit about money and business.
if you can use it to make something that improves your life, it is not a meme skill.

if you want to get a job knowing only query languages you might as well apply for a janitor position

If you work backend you 100% need to know how to use databases and SQL querying period. There's no way around it. But, honestly, you can learn all you need to know in a week or just intuit it on the job, so don't bother putting in the effort unless you're looking to be a DBA.

Learn the basics. It takes 1 day.

>but you ought to be able to pay some third-worlder to build a database for you.
thanks to that thinking america is demising economically while choyna jumped from 6th world country to a world's most potent economy in mere 20 years

Nearly every piece of real software in a business or something uses a DB. Id say its essentially if you want to be a software engineer.
But its really not that hard. If you can make a table, do inserts and updates, do joins. Thats like pretty much it. Its literally just a more structured way to store data instead of using raw files on a disk.
If your DB queries start to get complicated its usually a code smell that your design is bad

Or database smell, I've seen some shit when there's something beyond basic like a tree structure and they didn't understand that there will be pain unless it's done right because they only know the basics and honestly in most cases it's enough.

SQL developer / data engineer here. Yes, pretty much every application is a front end to a database. The only thing that matters is the data. If your database is designed like shit, your application will perform like shit. You might as well have a poo code your app if you have a shit db.
I've worked for companies where both the application and the db were written by jeers and it's truly nightmarish
Agree You can learn basic sql in a week. Just like you can learn basic programming skills in a week. Anything more advanced comes with experience
I make 180k in a poor area. I do sql dev interviews and I filter pretty much everyone with simple questions. There's actually a shortage of talent right now idk why probably because everyone is hiring.

I find this interesting, please make a question that would filter me.

Its useful if you ever want to manage any sort of data. For personal use or work.

Dude it's just really simple stuff like what's the difference between a union and union all. It's literally on every sql questions website but so many people get it wrong or don't know.

Someone told me there's an opening for a junior SQL dev and they'll be interviewing within a week.

I "know" SQL as in I remember how to make selects but not necessarily done any projects or anything serious besides passing a college class. How do I cram to prepare for a such job?

It's at a mid-sized company that probably relies on DB(s) to keep everything in it and it's described as "optimizing DB, providing support for the DB users and making queries as per request".

Attached: cb762a9b33e4f5b96033ffaaff1548f7.jpg (236x236, 11.35K)

No, it's super important to at least know the basics. If you want to be any sort of 'full-stack' developer, you'll need it.
PostgreSQL is nicer than MySQL, though.

This.
If you're going to let Rajesh touch your codebase, at least keep him in the frontend and far away from the database where he can't cause too much damage.
Database is the most important piece to get right of nearly any application.

I would've been filtered by this, it shows how shit most programmers are at SQL as I've worked at multiple companies and I've still to meet a programmer who really understands it. I think the root cause is that for most cases even very bad SQL performs well enough to never cause problems and that our brains are by default in imperative programming mode and try to write SQL like that when it's a declarative language and most don't even know the difference.

Yeah you're probably right. You have to write some atrocious sql or rely on a gui editor to really suffer. You'll only really run into underlying issues once you get into the tens of millions of rows. A company I worked for literally had rules on how you shouldn't create any indexes. It's like they wanted their dB to perform as bad as possible but it still managed to perform.

You will never be this good at SQL
observablehq.com/@pallada-92/sql-3d-engine

The only skill there is today with programming seems to be with making it destroy databases, not build them.

My dad's entire job was just doing stuff in oracle and they paid him 180k a year

Last time I checked satan was patriarchal.