Are there any decent modern business laptops?

Are there any decent modern business laptops?
Just want something that's solidly built and a bit upgradable as I would like to keep it ideally for 5+ years.
I've been looking at the Dell precision/latitude line, and they seem alright, can get Linux right off the bat, only downside is non-removable battery. My current laptop can only hold a charge for 10 minutes and I don't know how well modern laptops are with keeping a charge that I would need a replaceable battery.
It's mainly for video editing and server administration. I can buy them vat free but my budget is ~1,200 Euro.

Attached: precision-15-3570.jpg (4646x2964, 3.69M)

Other urls found in this thread:

hpdevone.com/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

oh my fucking god i cannot even. you just... god damn you're really gonna ask? that question... here omg. how do i, where do i even begin... you want a... and you ask that question straight face and fingers click a clacking away - do you have no self control? no self awareness? i don't can't even respond i'm literally shaking rn.
think
pad
you read that? that's not 2 separate words even though it might look like it it is an optical illusion, see i'll do it again
think
pad
see how it's still following on in the sentence on the same line? 1 word 1 laptop all you'll ever need. second hand easy to find buy an ssd and put linux on it need a new battery no fucking problem 9 cell battery bam you have one of the best bang for buck laptops anyone would ever want or need with any port or feature available
think
pad
1 word.

running Linux on Dell is easy but pretty much no battery optimisation work out of box so battery life will suck ass, especially on heavier work loads.

if buying a new machine, new latitude beats lenovo chinkpad. if getting used, get a real thinkpad

Look at dell precision, you can find them for cheap second hand and they look and eprform better than chinkpad.

I know Thinkpads are supposed to be great and all but if you go for used, the market here is fucked and it's still like 400 euro for a 10 year old laptop that hasn't been cared for well, not to mention I want to stretch at least 5 years out of the laptop. Then you probably another bit to do upgrades to it. Seen lots of people here say that the new thinkpads aren't as good anymore so not sure what to think of them.
The Latitude's is quite a bit cheaper, no option for Linux on dell for them so that's 150 euro wasted for getting Windows. Are they built to last though?
The only used Precisions I can find here area really old ones unfortunately

I feel like Any Forums is the worst place to ask for hardware advice because they're either autists who fell for the shiny rock memes, or autists with very specific requirements that 99% of OPs don't care about.

just get a thinkpad the new ryzen ones are pretty fast and have very long battery life. Have a e14 ~500€ and has like 16h battery life for shitposting and reading papers. Is very solid build and linux works oob. No fan problems but it get very hot if you use something demanding like rpcs3 which works quite well by the way with only the ryzen 55xxu cpu. Its also like half the price of your budget.
Also have a legion its good as well but battery life is shit if you want the gpu and bit better cpu its solid. No problem with linux.

the new frameworks are affordable, future-proof, and have great GNU/linux support

dell/apple have really nice machines but $$$$ and not upgrade-able

True but perhaps there is some golden gems out there
From what I hear is that the E series are cheap tier and aren't made to last so that's why I've disregarded them altogether. I prefer a 15" laptop just because of the numpad and there are no T options with AMD unfortunately.
Framework seemed nice but they don't even have an ethernet port. It still costs the same as a Dell Precision so it's not cheap either.
With Dell laptops you can upgrade RAM/SSD, I think that's about the best you can do on laptops right? Not sure what else you upgrade

Framework is nice if you want to support lttstore.com

I've had my Asus Zenbook since 2016 and it works perfectly. Bought it for 1k €. Buy one with 16 GB RAM

>E series are cheap tier
it is yes but its always solid just care for your product. I have a old e460 that still works like a charm no problems aside from the battery (obviously) and its now like 6 years old. New e14 has really good build quality. You could of course just grab something from the T or L series but you are basically just paying much more money for more ports and tiny better build quality. I rather waste that money on a external display with usb hub and numpad keaybord.

hpdevone.com/

Attached: laptop-center-one.png (825x701, 450.5K)

They forgot the Ethernet port? How come?

At my last job we were given Dell Latitude E5xxx, they were pretty lightweight and good for battery life. However I don't know how battery would fare with Linux.

Asus is a pain in the ass to buy here, shops never have the models you want. They don't seem that great in all honesty.
If it's not that bad then I'll consider the E series again. But yeah having those extra ports are nice, guess there is always the hub option if I want to go that way.
>Available for purchase in the U.S. only
No clue but it's a stupid choice and not made for sysadmins in mind that's for sure
Latitude's seem to be alright as well, not as much options for upgrading drives/RAM as the precision but they are a good chunk cheaper.
Basically only options so far is the Dell Precision and (maybe) Latitude. Possibly Thinkpad E series because the T versions are a bit too pricey. Still annoying that options are limited for a solid laptop

Does anyone have any experience with Clevo laptops? I suppose you can't get more Chinese than that but would be nice to hear how they hold up

14" M1 MBP

>can't get more Chinese than that
Most laptops are ODM'd by Wistron, Compal, Inventec and Pegatron and the big brands just slap their logo on it. Clevo is just another ODM.

Precision 3000 = Latitude 5000 + Quadro
Precision 5000 = XPS + Quadro + Normal Intel WiFi (Not the Killer nonsense) (New models are 16:10)

Of course, Latitude 3000 and Vostros are like the Thinkpad E series, aka something you shouldn't really touch

There are no Latitude 5000 with AMD either? Also the Latitude 5000 models have TB3/4, if adding an eGPU is something you want to do.

Take note the Latitude 55xx are heavy for what they are. Probably gaming laptops with a fat GPU in it will weigh the same or lighter than it. There are aluminum chassis options (not sure on the 5520/5521) but most are plastic. It doesn't feel like a cheap plastic laptop however, and feels pretty solid overall. There's bits and pieces of magnesium reinforcement but no rollcage like in the larger (P series and T15g) Thinkpads.

Can you wait till the year end? Lenovo typically provides steep discounts during that period. Perhaps look at a T15g (NOT T15p which uses ABS plastic instead of magnesium or at least carbon fiber) or P15 for your use case.

I hope this is a pasta

Dell Latitude and Vostro lines.
I used to recommend Thinkpads but now they are overpriced as fuck. Get the Ideapads instead.

Attached: bongbong_irl-02:22:01.952-0010.jpg (1280x720, 188.58K)

What about the ThinkPad X1 carbon?
You can find a Gen 8 or 9 at around your price range

Are there any laptops with the desktop-esque 7 row keyboard anymore?

>Dell Latitude and Vostro lines.
Latitude 3000 and Vostro sucks though

Laptops will prioritize the size of the trackpad than to add the additional row

Also, desktop keyboards are typically 6 rows too